Life of Cards
In Life I’ve tried to play my card.
I’ve tried, God knows, so very hard.
And yet, somehow it seems to me
That Fate misdeals the cards to me.
Deuces, fives and nines at best,
Whilst passing aces to the rest.
May I ask, O Lord, if you are able
To slip me a card under the table.
Or if you prefer, mark one with a pin,
So that I may win a hand before its time to cash in.
poem notes: -
Surely, ‘Life’ seems like this to all of us at one time or another, and for too many, it becomes a lifelong theme. Should the chance of just such a life-changing ‘opportunity’ arise, which one of us would truly feel that we did not deserve to take it?
David Shoestring's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (Life of Cards by David Shoestring )
- 'Not mine', Elena Sandu
- Love is a Liquid ~~~ vs.26, Monk E. Biz
- Love is a Liquid ~~~ vs.25, Monk E. Biz
- Lips, Floy Dy (Floyd) Ra (Floydson)
- Love is a Liquid ~~~ vs.24, Monk E. Biz
- Let me search, gajanan mishra
- A city escape, jeff newnham
- Haggler, Pradip Chattopadhyay
- A beloved Just Like The Moon, A Beloved .., Bijay Kant Dubey
- Venting with Vengeance, Nalini Chaturvedi
Poem of the Day
- 04 Tongues Made Of Glass, Shaun Shane
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- Still I Rise, Maya Angelou
- Phenomenal Woman, Maya Angelou
- If, Rudyard Kipling
- Dreams, Langston Hughes
- Invictus, William Ernest Henley
- Daffodils, William Wordsworth
- Fire and Ice, Robert Frost
- I Know Why The Caged Bird Sings, Maya Angelou
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
(1 February 1902 – 22 May 1967)
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
- Heather Burns
Edgar Allan Poe
(19 January 1809 - 7 October 1849)
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
(10 December 1830 – 15 May 1886)
Udiah (witness to Yah)