Let's All Be Peter Pan
When we were little kids, our hardest decision was choosing which colour crayon to use
Or which toy to play with at break-time
We didn’t care if our hair was out of place because we were having too much fun rolling down a hill in the summer time
And we never worried that the cheeseburger and chips we just ate would make us gain weight.
We ran carelessly across the road because we didn’t know the meaning of danger
And back then, strangers were our friends.
We weren’t afraid of approaching anyone because we believed that nobody would ever harm us.
But as we grew older, we started to realize why our parents warned us to stay away from strangers
Why they locked the doors at night
Because the world we live in is a cruel, harsh place;
Now we don’t leave the house unless our hair is perfect
And we lose ourselves in all the magazines full of stick-thin models
We look both ways when crossing the road
And walk on the other side when we see someone with their hood up.
Some people say that when you get really old, you return to your childhood,
Well, I say we never leave.
Laura Clayton's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (Let's All Be Peter Pan by Laura Clayton )
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
(28 November 1757 – 12 August 1827)
Alfred Lord Tennyson
(6 August 1809 – 6 October 1892)
(27 October 1914 – 9 November 1953)
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
(16 August 1920 – 9 March 1994)
(10 December 1830 – 15 May 1886)
Edgar Allan Poe
(19 January 1809 - 7 October 1849)
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- Do Not Go Gentle Into That Good Night, Dylan Thomas
- Fire and Ice, Robert Frost
- Daffodils, William Wordsworth
- Christmas Trees, Robert Frost
- Best Friend (In Hindi), Tavneet Singh
- Still I Rise, Maya Angelou
- Touched by an Angel, Maya Angelou
- Invictus, William Ernest Henley
- How Do I Love Thee?, Elizabeth Barrett Browning
Poem of the Day
- Ain't Try'n Deny'n, Steve Kittell
- You is Me, Mapung Madura
- Legendary Nostradamus Prophet, lee fones
- Thomas' Impossible Escape, Susan Wetmore
- Business-like, gajanan mishra
- Why Poetry Is Beautiful, Leong Ming Loong
- Blood Bath, Suresh Dogra
- Her Yes, Suresh Dogra
- Schools place of transformation., Gangadharan nair Pulingat..
- I love the poet for ever, gajanan mishra