Joseph S. Josephides
Lessons For A Tyrant
Though you are bad, as a tyrant, I'll teach you:
first be an actor, present yourself as a king,
stop eating raw meat, else blood is dripping.
Do scare private gatherings in soup kitchens,
hungry people eat there, don’t think of any rebel.
If you close the schools, teach football to kids,
send people to work, thus they don’t think of evil,
and when they earn, drain them imposing taxes.
Do show that you honor so much the obsequious,
else they’ll say rightly you’re obsequious to them,
better honest people appreciate you than flatter,
as a good actor hide hatred for the excellent ones
cut their wings early, but not so deep anymore,
with half-cut wings, they can’t form a flock to fly.
Remove the cocks feathers slowly, one by one,
ally with rich or poor, depending who has power
finally do bribe eminent men to stand by you.
I noticed that some kings have become tyrants,
albeit put on a mask of a good king to accept you,
do works, diminish your adulterous, ten are enough,
tell that you save, you're a treasurer and custodian
protecting our defense and our public interest us-
cover the fact that you put your interest above all.
Either you'll be a hypocrite actor or quit it all.
Do this to be half-immoral instead of immoral,
so you’ll be burned in hell for ten centuries, only.
Joseph S. Josephides's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Poet's Notes about The Poem
Comments about this poem (Lessons For A Tyrant by Joseph S. Josephides )
- 3, Smoky Hoss
- Soul Holes, Smoky Hoss
- Magic of Indian Democracy, SANDIP GOSWAMI
- ...and am loving it, Manonton Dalan
- There is yet Hope, Smoky Hoss
- Beauty And The Beholder, hugh everard
- Black Rose, Poetic Lilly Emery
- Joyful Is Life With Colours, Rohit Sapra
- Ferguson and Law Enforcement, Is It Poetry
- आज फिर तेरी याद आई हैं, Kahil Mehar
Poem of the Day
- 04 Tongues Made Of Glass, Shaun Shane
- Still I Rise, Maya Angelou
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- If You Forget Me, Pablo Neruda
- Do Not Go Gentle Into That Good Night, Dylan Thomas
- A Dream Within A Dream, Edgar Allan Poe
- Annabel Lee, Edgar Allan Poe
- Dreams, Langston Hughes
- Phenomenal Woman, Maya Angelou
- Fire and Ice, Robert Frost
(10 December 1830 – 15 May 1886)
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
Edgar Allan Poe
(19 January 1809 - 7 October 1849)
(31 May 1819 - 26 March 1892)
(1 February 1902 – 22 May 1967)
- Heather Burns
(28 November 1757 – 12 August 1827)