Ah Jesus! You do me no favors!
You give me life, but not my life!
You raise me up, what am I to do?
You are borne away with the crowd,
Shouting hosannas as you go,
Like the retreating tide
Pulls pebbles from the shore.
I am like shells on the sand.
Empty, hard husk, standing out for the curious,
But I shall not be picked up by wondering hands.
Those who know me, loved me, know me not now.
I am not the phoenix reborn with youth and soaring strength,
Just Lazarus, already tottering to my second tomb.
Those who loved me, wept with joy with my return.
How soon before the side-long glances reveal
The recollection that those little sins
They know I know were resurrected too?
How soon before the happy embrace
Is replaced by distance carefully maintained
As if the death-stink was still on me?
I see my future years ahead,
The unnatural soul moving alone
Through my unnatural days.
My God, my God,
Why have you forsaken me?
Charles Darnell's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Poet's Notes about The Poem
Comments about this poem (Lazarus by Charles Darnell )
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
- Mitchell Gonzalez
(1 February 1902 – 22 May 1967)
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
Edgar Allan Poe
(19 January 1809 - 7 October 1849)
(10 December 1830 – 15 May 1886)
(16 August 1920 – 9 March 1994)
(27 October 1914 – 9 November 1953)
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- Still I Rise, Maya Angelou
- Invictus, William Ernest Henley
- Annabel Lee, Edgar Allan Poe
- Police Car, Mitchell Gonzalez
- Stopping by Woods on a Snowy Evening, Robert Frost
- Christmas Trees, Robert Frost
- A Visit from St. Nicholas, Clement Clarke Moore
- Death is Nothing at All, Henry Scott Holland
- A Child's Christmas in Wales, Dylan Thomas
Poem of the Day
- You & I, Fabrizio Frosini
- My Little Bird, Alfred Oyori
- Regret, Damian Murphy
- Helpless reasonings, Howard MacDougall
- The first Flight, michael hagwood
- Fake, RJP Patterson
- Bee Bathes In Bliss, Saiom Shriver
- Merry Christmas, lee fones
- Searching For Convictions, RoseAnn V. Shawiak
- Not Strong Enough, RoseAnn V. Shawiak