Lay My Bones
... where do I lay
Where do I leave my bones,
for all the animals of prey?
Do you remember the winter of 1983?
When thunder storms at 20° below?
Lightning turned green,
so cold it could not snow.
Maybe on a mountain top
Overlooking my favorite lake
Where coyotes could howl
as soon as the full moon does break.
Oh! The fireworks display
July fourth,1976; the nation was
200 years old, clouds and mist filled the sky
As bombs burst there in the air.
Maybe behind a texas tumbleweed,
that's always roving on the go.
As to only which way
The wind does blow.
My first wife was a Buddhist.
We were married by a monk
In orange and gold and yellows.
The sacred wine we drunk.
I won't leave them there
by the dunes of the sea.
Even though the haunting waves crashing
Still are calling me.
Perhaps I could fall from the mountains
Into the river below
Be swept away into a new beginning
As does the river flow.
Midnights Voice's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (Lay My Bones by Midnights Voice )
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
(26 April 1564 - 23 April 1616)
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
(10 December 1830 – 15 May 1886)
(28 November 1757 – 12 August 1827)
(1 February 1902 – 22 May 1967)
- 04 Tongues Made Of Glass, Shaun Shane
- Still I Rise, Maya Angelou
- Daffodils, William Wordsworth
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- Fire and Ice, Robert Frost
- If, Rudyard Kipling
- A Fairy Song, William Shakespeare
- Dreams, Langston Hughes
- Do Not Stand At My Grave And Weep, Mary Elizabeth Frye
- Stopping by Woods on a Snowy Evening, Robert Frost
Poem of the Day
- This funny thing called Snow, Angell Afinowi
- One Last Chance, Abby Bilan
- Love Note 9, Michael P. McParland
- Lamentation of the Weak, Abby Bilan
- Love so unkempt..., Kenneth Maswabi
- morning conversation, oskar hansen
- Rescued, Ima Ryma
- Temptation of Xuanwu Lake, Luo Zhihai
- Ghazal: In Silence, Mimi Khalvati
- Awaiting for March, Rimni chakravarty