Lay My Bones
... where do I lay
Where do I leave my bones,
for all the animals of prey?
Do you remember the winter of 1983?
When thunder storms at 20° below?
Lightning turned green,
so cold it could not snow.
Maybe on a mountain top
Overlooking my favorite lake
Where coyotes could howl
as soon as the full moon does break.
Oh! The fireworks display
July fourth,1976; the nation was
200 years old, clouds and mist filled the sky
As bombs burst there in the air.
Maybe behind a texas tumbleweed,
that's always roving on the go.
As to only which way
The wind does blow.
My first wife was a Buddhist.
We were married by a monk
In orange and gold and yellows.
The sacred wine we drunk.
I won't leave them there
by the dunes of the sea.
Even though the haunting waves crashing
Still are calling me.
Perhaps I could fall from the mountains
Into the river below
Be swept away into a new beginning
As does the river flow.
Midnights Voice's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (Lay My Bones by Midnights Voice )
Did you read them?
- For The Romantic Poets In The Dissatisfi.., mary douglas
- End of trust, gajanan mishra
- Ode To Peace, Dilantha Gunawardana
- Divine Words, Asit Kumar Sanyal
- Dark chocolate, MOHAMMAD SKATI
- Colonization, gajanan mishra
- Coexisting, Kyle Schlicher
- Feelings, Col Muhamad Khalid Khan
- Let me tell a friend a story, Melikhaya Zagagana
- Our Fall خريفنا, MOHAMMAD SKATI
Poem of the Day
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- Daffodils, William Wordsworth
- Still I Rise, Maya Angelou
- Phenomenal Woman, Maya Angelou
- All the World's a Stage, William Shakespeare
- I Know Why The Caged Bird Sings, Maya Angelou
- Annabel Lee, Edgar Allan Poe
- Fire and Ice, Robert Frost
- If, Rudyard Kipling
- Dreams, Langston Hughes
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
(1 February 1902 – 22 May 1967)
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
Edgar Allan Poe
(19 January 1809 - 7 October 1849)
- Heather Burns
(31 May 1819 - 26 March 1892)
(10 December 1830 – 15 May 1886)
(26 April 1564 - 23 April 1616)