Landing on the Moon
When in the mask of night there shone that cut,
we were riddled. A probe reached down
and stroked some nerve in us,
as if the glint from a wizard's eye, of silver,
slanted out of the mask of the unknown-
pit of riddles, the scratch-marked sky.
When, albino bowl on cloth of jet,
it spilled its virile rays,
our eyes enlarged, our blood reared with the waves.
We craved its secret, but unreachable
it held away from us, chilly and frail.
Distance kept it magnate. Enigma made it white.
When we learned to read it with our rod,
reflected light revealed
a lead mirror, a bruised shield
seamed with scars and shadow-soiled.
A half faced sycophant, its glitter borrowed,
rode around our throne.
On the moon there shines earth light
as moonlight shines upon th earth…
If on its obsidian we set our weightless foot,
and sniff no wind, and lick no rain
and feel no gauze between us and the Fire
will we trot its grassless skull, sick for the homelike shade?
Naked to the earth-beam we shall be,
who have arrived to map an apparition,
who walk upon the forehead of a myth.
Can flesh rub with symbol? If our ball
be iron, and not light, our earliest wish
eclipses. Dare we land upon a dream?
May Swenson's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (Landing on the Moon by May Swenson )
- The smell that brought back memories, Sneha R.V
- About Me, Sreeram Vasudevan
- Maturity, RAJESH.C BOSE
- Exhausted, Paola Degli Esposti
- Emptiness, michael walkerjohn
- Invisible Love, Kumarmani Mahakul
- When Fishes Flew, Gilbert Keith Chesterton
- Restricted And Limited, Lawrence S. Pertillar
- The Song of Elf, Gilbert Keith Chesterton
- Love Is Not My Trade, Melikhaya Zagagana
Poem of the Day
- Daffodils, William Wordsworth
- Annabel Lee, Edgar Allan Poe
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- Home And Love, Robert William Service
- Being With You, Heather Burns
- In The Forest, Sarojini Naidu
- Nothing Gold Can Stay, Robert Frost
- A Prayer in Spring, Robert Frost
- A Lover's Complaint, William Shakespeare
- Coromandel Fishers, Sarojini Naidu
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
(13 February 1879 - 2 March 1949)
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
(13 September 1916 – 23 November 1990)
(26 April 1564 - 23 April 1616)
Percy Bysshe Shelley
(10 December 1830 – 15 May 1886)
(16 August 1920 – 9 March 1994)
(10 January 1887 – 20 January 1962)