This town sleeps with windows open.
The warm summer nights compel this.
Autumn will come too soon,
And early cold will
Press down from the north.
But just this night,
A rumble and squeal
At once familiar but
Out of place,
Rushes south on rusty rails.
Of hurling fire
Crashes into innocence,
Awakens all to nightmare.
Cries of “Mon Dieu! ” and
“Secours! ” echo in the dark.
Frantic figures hurry to help,
Oblivious or brave
In the face of flames.
The rail that brings
Their livelihood has
Cast the dice of downfall,
And those who lose
Are gathered in the arms
Of greedy Death.
©Charles Darnell 2013
Charles Darnell's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Poet's Notes about The Poem
Comments about this poem (Lac-Mégantic by Charles Darnell )
(1 February 1902 – 22 May 1967)
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
Edgar Allan Poe
(19 January 1809 - 7 October 1849)
(31 May 1819 - 26 March 1892)
Percy Bysshe Shelley
(10 December 1830 – 15 May 1886)
(August 19, 1902 – May 19, 1971)
- Dreams, Langston Hughes
- Still I Rise, Maya Angelou
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- I Know Why The Caged Bird Sings, Maya Angelou
- Phenomenal Woman, Maya Angelou
- Annabel Lee, Edgar Allan Poe
- As I Grew Older, Langston Hughes
- Invictus, William Ernest Henley
- Christmas Trees, Robert Frost
- No Man Is An Island, John Donne
Poem of the Day
- Passion and Risks, UMBELINA FROTA Linhares Pime ..
- Snip!, Lawrence Beck
- Today I learned that I am an orphan - Th.., Dee Jay
- To Glorify Jesus, Tom Zart
- I only scribed dirge but she killed thee.., Sir Toby Moses
- I only scribed a dirge but she killed th.., Sir Toby Moses
- Imitation., Tony Adah
- Stupid Wife, kassem oude
- Suicide Note., Tony Adah
- Everything Nothing, Ruby Honeytip