I am sick today,
sick in my body,
eyes wide open, silent,
I lie on the bed of childbirth.
Why do I, so used to the nearness of death,
to pain and blood and screaming,
now uncontrollably tremble with dread?
A nice young doctor tried to comfort me,
and talked about the joy of giving birth.
Since I know better than he about this matter,
what good purpose can his prattle serve?
Knowledge is not reality.
Experience belongs to the past.
Let those who lack immediacy be silent.
Let observers be content to observe.
I am all alone,
totally, utterly, entirely on my own,
gnawing my lips, holding my body rigid,
waiting on inexorable fate.
There is only one truth.
I shall give birth to a child,
truth driving outward from my inwardness.
Neither good nor bad; real, no sham about it.
With the first labor pains,
suddenly the sun goes pale.
The indifferent world goes strangely calm.
I am alone.
It is alone I am.
Akiko Yosano's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (Labor Pains by Akiko Yosano )
- At Dannemora Prison, Richard Provencher
- INNOCENT PRISIONER, Enoch Owusu Gyamfi
- Watchman, Pijush Biswas
- Veni, Vidi, Vici. Okay?, Dylan Attard
- We are merely onlookers anytime, MOHAMMAD SKATI
- We are merely onlookers, MOHAMMAD SKATI
- Time is Change, Taqueia Brown
- The Very First Days of Autumn, Hebert Logerie
- Red, Nate Crow
- Always wrong, hasmukh amathalal
Poem of the Day
- Phenomenal Woman, Maya Angelou
- Still I Rise, Maya Angelou
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- Daffodils, William Wordsworth
- I Know Why The Caged Bird Sings, Maya Angelou
- Morning, Paul Laurence Dunbar
- Fire and Ice, Robert Frost
- Dreams, Langston Hughes
- If You Forget Me, Pablo Neruda
- Invictus, William Ernest Henley
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
(28 November 1757 – 12 August 1827)
(1 February 1902 – 22 May 1967)
(10 December 1830 – 15 May 1886)
- Heather Burns
Edgar Allan Poe
(19 January 1809 - 7 October 1849)
(26 April 1564 - 23 April 1616)