Her blond hair is sweaty
and her tong in the corner of her mouth,
and her fingers feel numb
while the wool pulls and chafes.
Frustration has scribbled
a deep frown on her forehead.
How will she get it right?
Her teacher said
that they should all learn how to knit,
mom said it was easy to knit
but to her it is much too difficult
and the only thing that she knows about knitting
is making holes.
She shivers when the wool pulls
and is annoyed
but she will not give up
as to everything there is an answer.
At school she will pretend to knit
but will ask grandmother to help.
Her grandmother knows how to do everything
and knits far better than mother.
After school she takes the knitting home
but granny is far too wise
and has the wisdom to know what went wrong,
the wool is too chunky and the needles too thin
and with love and lots of patience
grandmother teaches her to knit
and after just a week she knits better
than all the children in her class
and holidays becomes there special time
in front off the window in the sun
and the only sound
is the clicking of their knitting needles.
Daleen Enslinstrydom's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (Knitting Frustration by Daleen Enslinstrydom )
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
Edgar Allan Poe
(19 January 1809 - 7 October 1849)
(16 August 1920 – 9 March 1994)
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
(24 January 1572 - 31 March 1631)
RoseAnn V. Shawiak
(10 December 1830 – 15 May 1886)
William Carlos Williams
(17 September 1883 – 4 March 1963)
(27 October 1914 – 9 November 1953)
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- If You Forget Me, Pablo Neruda
- No Man Is An Island, John Donne
- Stopping by Woods on a Snowy Evening, Robert Frost
- Don't Go Far Off, Pablo Neruda
- Three Wise Men, Bill Simmons
- Invictus, William Ernest Henley
- Still I Rise, Maya Angelou
- A Dream Within A Dream, Edgar Allan Poe
- Annabel Lee, Edgar Allan Poe
Poem of the Day
- Drink, Smoke, Pray & Pop Pills., Tom Zart
- His Birthday, Neela Nath
- Last Night, Swrji Basumatary
- A proposal to wake up, none .....
- Dreams are All That Remain, Rohit Sapra
- Flowers By The Roadside, Maurice Rowlands
- You are born to be a poet, ramesh rai
- Beautiful flower, gajanan mishra
- A Fool, crystal ruth
- The Game, douglas scotney