Her blond hair is sweaty
and her tong in the corner of her mouth,
and her fingers feel numb
while the wool pulls and chafes.
Frustration has scribbled
a deep frown on her forehead.
How will she get it right?
Her teacher said
that they should all learn how to knit,
mom said it was easy to knit
but to her it is much too difficult
and the only thing that she knows about knitting
is making holes.
She shivers when the wool pulls
and is annoyed
but she will not give up
as to everything there is an answer.
At school she will pretend to knit
but will ask grandmother to help.
Her grandmother knows how to do everything
and knits far better than mother.
After school she takes the knitting home
but granny is far too wise
and has the wisdom to know what went wrong,
the wool is too chunky and the needles too thin
and with love and lots of patience
grandmother teaches her to knit
and after just a week she knits better
than all the children in her class
and holidays becomes there special time
in front off the window in the sun
and the only sound
is the clicking of their knitting needles.
Daleen Enslinstrydom's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (Knitting Frustration by Daleen Enslinstrydom )
- A Song Of Harp, Naveed Khalid
- An African Woman I am... a Blessing or a.., Vivian Muciri
- You are Everywhere!, Md. Ziaul Haque
- Work: The Noun that Verbs the World!, Md. Ziaul Haque
- oh my dear, sushant jha
- Dangerous Curiosity, Md. Ziaul Haque
- To My First Love, Naveed Khalid
- She, Naveed Khalid
- Healing Woman, Md. Ziaul Haque
- mithilak varnan, sushant jha
Poem of the Day
- Daffodils, William Wordsworth
- Still I Rise, Maya Angelou
- Do Not Go Gentle Into That Good Night, Dylan Thomas
- If You Forget Me, Pablo Neruda
- Stars, Joyce Kilmer
- If, Rudyard Kipling
- Fire and Ice, Robert Frost
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- Mid-Term Break, Seamus Heaney
- Phenomenal Woman, Maya Angelou
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
(13 September 1916 – 23 November 1990)
(April 13,1939 - August 30, 2013)
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
(1 February 1902 – 22 May 1967)
William Butler Yeats
(13 June 1865 – 28 January 1939)
(26 April 1564 - 23 April 1616)
(24 January 1572 - 31 March 1631)