Her blond hair is sweaty
and her tong in the corner of her mouth,
and her fingers feel numb
while the wool pulls and chafes.
Frustration has scribbled
a deep frown on her forehead.
How will she get it right?
Her teacher said
that they should all learn how to knit,
mom said it was easy to knit
but to her it is much too difficult
and the only thing that she knows about knitting
is making holes.
She shivers when the wool pulls
and is annoyed
but she will not give up
as to everything there is an answer.
At school she will pretend to knit
but will ask grandmother to help.
Her grandmother knows how to do everything
and knits far better than mother.
After school she takes the knitting home
but granny is far too wise
and has the wisdom to know what went wrong,
the wool is too chunky and the needles too thin
and with love and lots of patience
grandmother teaches her to knit
and after just a week she knits better
than all the children in her class
and holidays becomes there special time
in front off the window in the sun
and the only sound
is the clicking of their knitting needles.
Daleen Enslinstrydom's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (Knitting Frustration by Daleen Enslinstrydom )
- Staying Power, Michael McParland
- On The Brink Of Heaven, RoseAnn V. Shawiak
- Names, Frank Avon
- Freedom, stephen ifill
- A Challenge Title Contest - 2014's Nov. .., Brian Johnston
- Missing Links, RoseAnn V. Shawiak
- Evermore, Sheehan Patrick Augustine
- A lovely even for the stars of respect., Raymond Sawyer
- Silence Passed, RoseAnn V. Shawiak
- I am thankful for my children Ethan, and.., Sagrario Garcia
Poem of the Day
- Do Not Go Gentle Into That Good Night, Dylan Thomas
- Annabel Lee, Edgar Allan Poe
- It Is the Hour, George Gordon Byron
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- If, Rudyard Kipling
- And Death Shall Have No Dominion, Dylan Thomas
- Still I Rise, Maya Angelou
- Alone, Edgar Allan Poe
- The Raven, Edgar Allan Poe
- If You Forget Me, Pablo Neruda
Edgar Allan Poe
(19 January 1809 - 7 October 1849)
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
(27 October 1914 – 9 November 1953)
(8 August 1884 – 29 January 1933)
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
(16 August 1920 – 9 March 1994)
(1 February 1927)
- Heather Burns
(1644 - 1694)