Kippagh Mountain Lake
The skylark sing above the bracken hill
That voice once heard one never can mistake
And sunlight down the silent mountain steal
And light the dark waters of Kippagh lake.
The lake trout to the shallow waters swim
They like to feel the warmth of the sun
And tiny rill that has spring as it's source
Down from the mountain through the bracken run.
In centuries gone i heard old woman say
The Gaelic bards to Kippagh mountain came
And found the inspiration for their songs
In land too wild and rough for man to tame.
They sang their songs but never wrote them down
And the bards have gone and with them died their fame
And old culture gone and people have changed too
But Kippagh mountain lake still look much the same.
I know of a lake surrounded by high hills
Where gaelic minstrel sang his final lay
A place too high and wild for man to tame
Beyond the seas thousands of miles away.
Francis Duggan's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (Kippagh Mountain Lake by Francis Duggan )
- One Nation Under God, Katherine Nordhaus
- the weather knows where i'll someday put.., Mandolyn ...
- Love Is, sallam yassin
- MY HEART SMILES TO YOU, john chizoba vincent
- When The Wind Blows, Tony Adah
- If I am just a Character, Felicia Manning
- Only if..., Ntando.B Da poet
- Patience & Acceptance, Tom Zart
- I am a stream, DEEPAK KUMAR PATTANAYAK
- THE WIDOW, john chizoba vincent
Poem of the Day
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- Phenomenal Woman, Maya Angelou
- A Drinking Song, William Butler Yeats
- Annabel Lee, Edgar Allan Poe
- I Know Why The Caged Bird Sings, Maya Angelou
- Dreams, Langston Hughes
- Fire and Ice, Robert Frost
- Do Not Go Gentle Into That Good Night, Dylan Thomas
- If, Rudyard Kipling
- Still I Rise, Maya Angelou
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
(1 February 1902 – 22 May 1967)
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
(10 December 1830 – 15 May 1886)
Edgar Allan Poe
(19 January 1809 - 7 October 1849)
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
William Butler Yeats
(13 June 1865 – 28 January 1939)
- Heather Burns
(27 October 1914 – 9 November 1953)
(16 August 1920 – 9 March 1994)