Somewhere just off the highway
Between over there and yonder ways
Stands a little church on a gravel road
That took me home in younger days.
As you pass my grandmother's old place
Where my ancestors once found their stead
Stands Uncle Pete's house in the woods
Where we held reunions and broke family bread.
It was at this place our stories were shared
As one generation met the one to come after
And mournful old eyes glimpsed a jovial horizon
Finding condolence in that future's young laughter.
It's here I learned the history of my inherited name
As I listened to the tales that ultimately lead to me
Of how I'm related to this person who begat that one
Or the tales of those who served in wars to keep us free.
As I listened to those stories it was hard not to notice
The gaze of the storyteller trace further down the trail
To where the gravel gave way to a dirt trodden path
That cut its way through Mr. Boone's forested dale.
Over the years I have often made this journey
Out past the places of my childhood memory
Down an old Kentucky road of gravel and dirt
That finds its eventual end at our family cemetery.
It is a place were serenity accompanies finality
A small clearing shadowed by the surrounding trees
Where each marble marks a loved ones peaceful rest
Their names etched in stone and whispered in the breeze.
My grandmother and Uncle Pete now lie in its shade
And in their passing it's only here we meet as a family
But it's on this road that I learned who I really am
And at its end lies my history and my final destiny.
© Joey Jones 8/13
Joey Jones's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (Kentucky Road by Joey Jones )
- The Truest Love., Achill Ladd
- Points made between waves, Mark Heathcote
- ignus fatuus or sketches of my past?, Mandolyn ...
- Black Wings, Lilly Emery
- United we Stand Divided we fall, Aftab Alam
- Beauty, Gangadharan nair Pulingat..
- Come Home, Richard Provencher
- Like our dream, Aftab Alam
- A puppet in times hand, Aftab Alam
- Nature's arts., Gangadharan nair Pulingat..
Poem of the Day
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- Daffodils, William Wordsworth
- If You Forget Me, Pablo Neruda
- If, Rudyard Kipling
- Still I Rise, Maya Angelou
- Phenomenal Woman, Maya Angelou
- Dreams, Langston Hughes
- Invictus, William Ernest Henley
- All the World's a Stage, William Shakespeare
- No Man Is An Island, John Donne
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
(1 February 1902 – 22 May 1967)
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
(10 December 1830 – 15 May 1886)
- Heather Burns
(26 April 1564 - 23 April 1616)
(13 September 1916 – 23 November 1990)
Edgar Allan Poe
(19 January 1809 - 7 October 1849)