Karla’s sleeping place against the wall
Self-sufficient and smug-faced she lays
watching her world.
Today she had been a naughty dog
but she only wanted to help
and is in trouble again.
The geranium was in her way
and on the place where she used to take her afternoon nap.
Why did her owner put the flowerpot right there?
When her owner does leave for work
she has got a plan
to move the flowerpot herself
but it’s much too heavy.
She asks Jackie to help her
but he is not willing
as he does not want to get in trouble too.
Then she gets a bright idea
that had worked before
and decides to pull out the dreaded flower,
to dig the soil out,
just to leave it right there to be found
and to make her owner angry enough
to take the flowerpot away.
She bites and pulls
and stems break and leaves bend
but eventually the geranium is out
and the backyard is a mess with soil everywhere.
Now she only has got to wait
until her owner comes home
“Oh no! Not again, ” she hears her owner crying out.
“Karla, why did you break my flowers again? ”
She looks out off the corner off her eye,
notices that her owner is carrying the flowerbox away
and she crawls back to her sleeping place against the wall.
Daleen Enslinstrydom's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (Karla’s sleeping place against the wall by Daleen Enslinstrydom )
- Just the beginning of that pretty Fall ف.., MOHAMMAD SKATI
- The Fulani and His Cattle, Nkwachukwu Ogbuagu
- LOVE, DRASHI SHAH
- LITTLE DREAM, DRASHI SHAH
- Together Alone, S. I. Rednow
- HOLDING HANDS.., DRASHI SHAH
- Love Can Do It, Akhtar Jawad
- Just the beginning of that pretty Fall, MOHAMMAD SKATI
- The flame of hope, bryan wallace
- Myself, Hans Raj Sharma
Poem of the Day
- 04 Tongues Made Of Glass, Shaun Shane
- Daffodils, William Wordsworth
- If, Rudyard Kipling
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- Phenomenal Woman, Maya Angelou
- No Man Is An Island, John Donne
- Death is Nothing at All, Henry Scott Holland
- Invictus, William Ernest Henley
- If You Forget Me, Pablo Neruda
- Still I Rise, Maya Angelou
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
- Heather Burns
(3rd April 19sixty)
(17 June 1867 – 2 September 1922)
(28 November 1757 – 12 August 1827)