David Lewis Paget
‘Of course there isn't a God out there,
We're here, for better or worse,
The world just happened, ' he said to me,
‘The same as the universe!
One day nothing, and then Ka-poof
The planets appeared in space,
They happened from nothing, ' said Hedley Boof,
‘The same as the human race.'
‘So you don't believe in a guiding hand,
You don't believe in design,
Our trucks and cars just rattle together
And bring themselves off the line.'
‘Well now, that's different, ' he said to me,
We do whatever we can,
Who can fathom the brains behind
The ingenious works of man? '
‘But man himself, such a complex thing,
You say that he just evolved?
Each one grown from a tiny egg,
You think…' ‘Yes, problem solved!
We started once as a single cell
Came out of the primal slime,
Adapted to our environment
In a billion years of time.'
‘So brains and livers and kidneys came,
And eyes just happened, you say,
And hands and fingers and teeth and hair,
And what about D.N.A? '
‘Oh, science is there to explain these things,
To me, it doesn't seem odd,
In all the journals of science, you
Will not read a word of God.'
‘It's all just superstition, ' he said,
‘Man needs to believe there's more,
He makes up things like spirits and souls
That will take him beyond death's door.'
‘So you'll be happy to not exist
When death comes, gives you the nod?
I think that's probably better for you
Than the terrible glare of God! '
28 March 2013
David Lewis Paget's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (Ka-Poof! by David Lewis Paget )
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
(27 October 1914 – 9 November 1953)
Harivansh Rai Bachchan
(27 November 1907 – 18 January 2003)
(August 19, 1902 – May 19, 1971)
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
(16 August 1920 – 9 March 1994)
Edgar Allan Poe
(19 January 1809 - 7 October 1849)
(January 6, 1883 – April 10, 1931)
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- Still I Rise, Maya Angelou
- If You Forget Me, Pablo Neruda
- Daffodils, William Wordsworth
- Do Not Go Gentle Into That Good Night, Dylan Thomas
- Alone, Edgar Allan Poe
- No Man Is An Island, John Donne
- Invictus, William Ernest Henley
- beware of false friends, Micron
- Madhubala, Harivansh Rai Bachchan
Poem of the Day
- Besten Dank für den Gruss, Wolfgang Steinmann
- Birthday poem, Wala' Qamhieh
- If you want to be my inspirer, Elius Rubby
- Being in love, Sahra Hussein
- Walk On!, Shweta Nair
- My Father, Sahra Hussein
- Crime against humanity (a prose poem), paul bamberger
- Serenity Later Prayer, Joseph DeMarco
- starlings display team, lee fones
- Extinction is Forever, Joseph DeMarco