David Lewis Paget
‘Of course there isn't a God out there,
We're here, for better or worse,
The world just happened, ' he said to me,
‘The same as the universe!
One day nothing, and then Ka-poof
The planets appeared in space,
They happened from nothing, ' said Hedley Boof,
‘The same as the human race.'
‘So you don't believe in a guiding hand,
You don't believe in design,
Our trucks and cars just rattle together
And bring themselves off the line.'
‘Well now, that's different, ' he said to me,
We do whatever we can,
Who can fathom the brains behind
The ingenious works of man? '
‘But man himself, such a complex thing,
You say that he just evolved?
Each one grown from a tiny egg,
You think…' ‘Yes, problem solved!
We started once as a single cell
Came out of the primal slime,
Adapted to our environment
In a billion years of time.'
‘So brains and livers and kidneys came,
And eyes just happened, you say,
And hands and fingers and teeth and hair,
And what about D.N.A? '
‘Oh, science is there to explain these things,
To me, it doesn't seem odd,
In all the journals of science, you
Will not read a word of God.'
‘It's all just superstition, ' he said,
‘Man needs to believe there's more,
He makes up things like spirits and souls
That will take him beyond death's door.'
‘So you'll be happy to not exist
When death comes, gives you the nod?
I think that's probably better for you
Than the terrible glare of God! '
28 March 2013
David Lewis Paget's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (Ka-Poof! by David Lewis Paget )
- Caesar And Crassus, Saiom Shriver
- >> Funny World, Abdul Wahab
- If, Menkato Awomi
- Agar tumain, Saleem Zidi
- The Pen As Midwife, Saiom Shriver
- Bride And Groom, Jeannette Heywood
- Lincoln And Thanksgiving, Saiom Shriver
- Fears are worse....., PARTHA SARATHI PAUL
- Sleep, Akhil Zoomin
- Theres No Substitute For A Hard Worker, Katherine Perry
Poem of the Day
- 04 Tongues Made Of Glass, Shaun Shane
- Still I Rise, Maya Angelou
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- Daffodils, William Wordsworth
- Do Not Go Gentle Into That Good Night, Dylan Thomas
- Fire and Ice, Robert Frost
- Annabel Lee, Edgar Allan Poe
- If, Rudyard Kipling
- Stopping by Woods on a Snowy Evening, Robert Frost
- I Know Why The Caged Bird Sings, Maya Angelou
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
(April 13,1939 - August 30, 2013)
(1 February 1902 – 22 May 1967)
Edgar Allan Poe
(19 January 1809 - 7 October 1849)
(10 December 1830 – 15 May 1886)
- Heather Burns
(27 October 1914 – 9 November 1953)