Jikon - April 2008
The script was well-crafted,
The main actors had rehearsed well
and smaller actors like me were expected
to just be around, to smile
and be politically correct.......
The top guns finally arrived
and the curtains went up....
The atmosphere became very tense
and we all shook hands and smiled nervously.
The much-awaited annual meeting began at last.
The main speaker started his presentation,
A few questions were raised,
Answers were given to some,
and excuses for others.
The farce finally ended
with plans and new projections.
The annual meeting ended at last
and the curtains came down....
The main actors walked out
and got into their luxury cars and departed
while smaller actors like me
trudged on the dusty road
towards the bus stop.
Jasbir Chatterjee's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (Jikon - April 2008 by Jasbir Chatterjee )
(1 February 1902 – 22 May 1967)
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
(26 April 1564 - 23 April 1616)
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
(10 December 1830 – 15 May 1886)
(13 September 1916 – 23 November 1990)
(22 August 1893 - 7 June 1967)
(28 November 1757 – 12 August 1827)
- Dreams, Langston Hughes
- As I Grew Older, Langston Hughes
- Mother to Son, Langston Hughes
- Still I Rise, Maya Angelou
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- If, Rudyard Kipling
- I Dream A World, Langston Hughes
- If You Forget Me, Pablo Neruda
- I, Too, Langston Hughes
- Let America be America Again, Langston Hughes
Poem of the Day
- Osho, Bijay Kant Dubey
- Many Third-Classers, Bijay Kant Dubey
- As A Man, I Hate The Fanatic The Most, Bijay Kant Dubey
- Bapu, In Your Memory, Bijay Kant Dubey
- The Mirth of William, James Merchant
- -Untitled- (2), Morgan Siegel
- The Short Ballad of Egg Boy, James Merchant
- Logic in Life, Jayatissa Liyanage
- - Lady Andrea on the meadowland, Giorgio A. V.
- Lady Andrea on the meadowland, Giorgio A. V.