Jeu De Paume, Anyone? II
'I didn't think you went in for that celebrity thing, ' I teased.
'I don't. TV, Hollywood, pop culture, celebrities, foolish, expensive, American distractions to save them from thinking- yuck! I just mention it, that's all.'
We agreed to meet at 3. I'm not sure how Diotima got there, but I took a cab- the trains are risky, now, after midnight.Insomnia, often a self-fulfilling prophecy, in this case, was. Suddenly, I was wide awake. It reminded me of club days. From the parking lot cab-drop, I expected to hear something like battlefield clamor. Why? Where do I get these ideas- expecting war all the time? It was quiet, except for the thudrumblecrash of the game itself- no screaming, no sobbing, no explosion, no blood- a false alarm, altogether. In fact, the place was pretty empty, but big as an airplane hanger. You have heard the expression 'miles of aisles? ' Had the cups contained high balls instead of bottled water, it could have been 1962. There might even have been an early Beatles song on the PA, but there wasn't. People actually smoked!
Several of the fifty or so lanes were in use. It felt like my first time in a bowling alley, and like I'd awakened after napping fifty years.
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (Jeu De Paume, Anyone? II by Morgan Michaels )
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
(1 February 1902 – 22 May 1967)
(10 December 1830 – 15 May 1886)
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
Edgar Allan Poe
(19 January 1809 - 7 October 1849)
(31 May 1819 - 26 March 1892)
(26 April 1564 - 23 April 1616)
(28 November 1757 – 12 August 1827)
- 04 Tongues Made Of Glass, Shaun Shane
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- Still I Rise, Maya Angelou
- [CW]Watch The Flash Season 1 Episode 11 .., Renz Barns
- Annabel Lee, Edgar Allan Poe
- Dreams, Langston Hughes
- Fire and Ice, Robert Frost
- Tonight I can write the saddest lines, Pablo Neruda
- I Know Why The Caged Bird Sings, Maya Angelou
- A Dream Within A Dream, Edgar Allan Poe
Poem of the Day
- Stages of life, gajanan mishra
- Remmbering Guernica, John F. McCullagh
- Value, Carolyn Blackmon
- Tagore Song (#9) My freedom exist in da.., Tushar Ray
- What is Courage, Lewis Antonuk
- Full Attention, RoseAnn V. Shawiak
- Acknowledge What Love has to do with US, michael walkerjohn
- That Thing, Luo Zhihai
- The Polar Star, Tushar Ray
- On Learning in Texas of East Coast Winte.., Bill Grace