Jeu De Paume, Anyone? II
'I didn't think you went in for that celebrity thing, ' I teased.
'I don't. TV, Hollywood, pop culture, celebrities, foolish, expensive, American distractions to save them from thinking- yuck! I just mention it, that's all.'
We agreed to meet at 3. I'm not sure how Diotima got there, but I took a cab- the trains are risky, now, after midnight.Insomnia, often a self-fulfilling prophecy, in this case, was. Suddenly, I was wide awake. It reminded me of club days. From the parking lot cab-drop, I expected to hear something like battlefield clamor. Why? Where do I get these ideas- expecting war all the time? It was quiet, except for the thudrumblecrash of the game itself- no screaming, no sobbing, no explosion, no blood- a false alarm, altogether. In fact, the place was pretty empty, but big as an airplane hanger. You have heard the expression 'miles of aisles? ' Had the cups contained high balls instead of bottled water, it could have been 1962. There might even have been an early Beatles song on the PA, but there wasn't. People actually smoked!
Several of the fifty or so lanes were in use. It felt like my first time in a bowling alley, and like I'd awakened after napping fifty years.
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (Jeu De Paume, Anyone? II by Morgan Michaels )
The Road Not Taken
If You Forget Me
Still I Rise
Edgar Allan Poe
Stopping by Woods on a Snowy Evening
I Know Why The Caged Bird Sings
A Dream Within A Dream
Edgar Allan Poe
- Expression Eruption: An artillery call, Onyekachukwu Vincent Onyeche
- Biochemistry II, Onyekachukwu Vincent Onyeche
- farm this, Mandolyn ...
- A Chat By Brothers, Onyekachukwu Vincent Onyeche
- Smith of Words, Tirupathi Chandrupatla
- Past IT' is, george albot
- WILD FLOWERS ARE PRETTY FLOWERS ANYTIME, MOHAMMAD SKATI
- WILD FLOWERS ARE PRETTY FLOWERS, MOHAMMAD SKATI
- DOUBLE-FACED PEOPLE ناس بوشين, MOHAMMAD SKATI
- Young Priest, Old Priest, Donal Mahoney