Jeu De Paume, Anyone? II
'I didn't think you went in for that celebrity thing, ' I teased.
'I don't. TV, Hollywood, pop culture, celebrities, foolish, expensive, American distractions to save them from thinking- yuck! I just mention it, that's all.'
We agreed to meet at 3. I'm not sure how Diotima got there, but I took a cab- the trains are risky, now, after midnight.Insomnia, often a self-fulfilling prophecy, in this case, was. Suddenly, I was wide awake. It reminded me of club days. From the parking lot cab-drop, I expected to hear something like battlefield clamor. Why? Where do I get these ideas- expecting war all the time? It was quiet, except for the thudrumblecrash of the game itself- no screaming, no sobbing, no explosion, no blood- a false alarm, altogether. In fact, the place was pretty empty, but big as an airplane hanger. You have heard the expression 'miles of aisles? ' Had the cups contained high balls instead of bottled water, it could have been 1962. There might even have been an early Beatles song on the PA, but there wasn't. People actually smoked!
Several of the fifty or so lanes were in use. It felt like my first time in a bowling alley, and like I'd awakened after napping fifty years.
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (Jeu De Paume, Anyone? II by Morgan Michaels )
- Festival Of Light, Amitava Sur
- YouTube and Phalloplasty, Jeff Gangwer
- Journey, Dave Cadaqu
- Brad Pitt / Brad Dourif, Jeff Gangwer
- History / Your Dust, Jeff Gangwer
- "...through your rape whistle", Jeff Gangwer
- "Angels are...", Jeff Gangwer
- Your Ghost Doesn't Haunt This Room, Jeff Gangwer
- She Wore Poison on Her Neck, Jeff Gangwer
- Yes or No?, Jeff Gangwer
Poem of the Day
- To an Athlete Dying Young, Alfred Edward Housman
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- If, Rudyard Kipling
- Fire and Ice, Robert Frost
- Home And Love, Robert William Service
- Do Not Go Gentle Into That Good Night, Dylan Thomas
- Still I Rise, Maya Angelou
- Annabel Lee, Edgar Allan Poe
- A Dream Within A Dream, Edgar Allan Poe
- Nothing Gold Can Stay, Robert Frost
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
Edgar Allan Poe
(19 January 1809 - 7 October 1849)
(16 August 1920 – 9 March 1994)
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
- Heather Burns
(7 May 1861 – 7 August 1941)
Robert William Service
(16 January 1874 - 11 September 1958)
(26 April 1564 - 23 April 1616)
(27 October 1914 – 9 November 1953)