Jealousy is an ugly ugly thing.
I never had long brown hair and my eyes have always been the blue you hated most.
I’ve never been small or adorable and my boobs have always been nearly non existent.
I drank too much when I turned 16 and smoking became my vice even earlier than that.
I never sang in the church choir, but I prayed every night until my knees were black and blue.
God, if love was real, make me pretty like she was to make him want me too.
I hate every spot on my body that make up can’t cover and I don’t have the money to surgically change the shape of my silhouette.
If there was a way to grow these blonde locks faster, I guess I haven’t found it yet.
I never once claimed to deserve you. But I hoped you would accept me anyway.
And the nights like this drag on and on, as I lie in bed awake.
I heard she got engaged. I heard they were married. I heard now he’s happy.
I stand in the mirror’s reflection pulling my hair to reveal my scalp wondering if my brain lies underneath…wondering if I moved quick enough, if you would lose me like I lost you…like we lost the dream..like now it’s too mature to be considered anything.
Simone Graves's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (Jealousy by Simone Graves )
- Best Lesson, sallam yassin
- Our Heavenly Souls, Robert Rorabeck
- Nightmares and Daydreams, Shane V. Hill
- Within My Mind Holds Dreams, Lilly Emery
- The Right Question, David Barz
- Confusing, george albot
- Bluegray, Saiom Shriver
- My Still Daughter, LoKis White
- By Another Icarus, Robert Rorabeck
- Lilies Of Lanka, Saiom Shriver
Poem of the Day
- Still I Rise, Maya Angelou
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- I Know Why The Caged Bird Sings, Maya Angelou
- Fire and Ice, Robert Frost
- Phenomenal Woman, Maya Angelou
- Dreams, Langston Hughes
- Annabel Lee, Edgar Allan Poe
- A Dream Within A Dream, Edgar Allan Poe
- If You Forget Me, Pablo Neruda
- As I Grew Older, Langston Hughes
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
(1 February 1902 – 22 May 1967)
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
(31 May 1819 - 26 March 1892)
Edgar Allan Poe
(19 January 1809 - 7 October 1849)
(10 December 1830 – 15 May 1886)
(13 September 1916 – 23 November 1990)
(26 April 1564 - 23 April 1616)
(16 August 1920 – 9 March 1994)