Jealousy is an ugly ugly thing.
I never had long brown hair and my eyes have always been the blue you hated most.
I’ve never been small or adorable and my boobs have always been nearly non existent.
I drank too much when I turned 16 and smoking became my vice even earlier than that.
I never sang in the church choir, but I prayed every night until my knees were black and blue.
God, if love was real, make me pretty like she was to make him want me too.
I hate every spot on my body that make up can’t cover and I don’t have the money to surgically change the shape of my silhouette.
If there was a way to grow these blonde locks faster, I guess I haven’t found it yet.
I never once claimed to deserve you. But I hoped you would accept me anyway.
And the nights like this drag on and on, as I lie in bed awake.
I heard she got engaged. I heard they were married. I heard now he’s happy.
I stand in the mirror’s reflection pulling my hair to reveal my scalp wondering if my brain lies underneath…wondering if I moved quick enough, if you would lose me like I lost you…like we lost the dream..like now it’s too mature to be considered anything.
Simone Graves's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (Jealousy by Simone Graves )
- Lost Melody, Patrick Ladbrooke
- A Rich Man's World, Fareez Nasir
- PH: Nature: Canoeing the Mississippi #4, Brian Johnston
- Dandelion Dreams, Richard D. Remler
- गोजाननि खौरां, Ronjoy Brahma
- Let us believe, hasmukh amathalal
- Christmas Again, Katherine Nordhaus
- Money, Katherine Nordhaus
- Older, Frank Avon
- A question to seasons, Melikhaya Zagagana
Poem of the Day
- On the Pulse of Morning, Maya Angelou
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- Daffodils, William Wordsworth
- Still I Rise, Maya Angelou
- Peace. A Study, Charles Stuart Calverley
- If, Rudyard Kipling
- On the Ning Nang Nong, Spike Milligan
- Phenomenal Woman, Maya Angelou
- If You Forget Me, Pablo Neruda
- A Fairy Song, William Shakespeare
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
(10 December 1830 – 15 May 1886)
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
- Heather Burns
(26 April 1564 - 23 April 1616)
Edgar Allan Poe
(19 January 1809 - 7 October 1849)
(1 February 1902 – 22 May 1967)
(1774 - 1843)