They wait perfumed in fresh clothes,
The kids, at the top of the stairs.
We'll be back by evening, Auntie - says the mother.
Come on or we'll miss the corriera!
They troop off down the stairs,
Across the courtyard into the whining of
A carpenters lathe,
And the crunching of gravel,
Past Mr.B's house, with his collection of
Through a dank passage and into a warm
They greet C. in his grocery, which
Emanates a smell of cinnamon and washing powder,
Then proceed along the old flour mill - look
If a body is floating in the water -
Finally reaching the bubbling piazza.
The corriera announces its clanging arrival;
The kids don't care they've got their Spiderman
Comics to think about.
By sundown they were back, weary,
Sleeping on each others shoulder.
Pity it was all over,
And the kids dream of Spiderman.
Jay Alexander's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Poet's Notes about The Poem
Comments about this poem (Italian Morning. by Jay Alexander )
- When my love states that she is futile..., Saheb Mohapatra
- Sink and feel, SALINI NAIR
- Birthday Years, Greta Bellamacina
- When Hope Becomes A Prayer, Savita Tyagi
- So the Ancients say...., Savita Tyagi
- Thank and wish, hasmukh amathalal
- Goodbye The Day, Pijush Biswas
- ~Oneness ~, Aftab Alam
- Random Thought lX, Savita Tyagi
- The Little Robin Flew, Rohan Nath
Poem of the Day
- 04 Tongues Made Of Glass, Shaun Shane
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- Do Not Go Gentle Into That Good Night, Dylan Thomas
- Daffodils, William Wordsworth
- America the Beautiful, Katharine Lee Bates
- Talking Turkeys!, Benjamin Zephaniah
- Still I Rise, Maya Angelou
- Stopping by Woods on a Snowy Evening, Robert Frost
- All the World's a Stage, William Shakespeare
- If You Forget Me, Pablo Neruda
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
(10 December 1830 – 15 May 1886)
- Heather Burns
William Butler Yeats
(13 June 1865 – 28 January 1939)
(27 October 1914 – 9 November 1953)
(13 September 1916 – 23 November 1990)
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)