It's Not Like Christmas
It's not like Christmas I knew years ago
The Irish Christmas that I used to know
When Caherbarnagh peaks are capped with snow
And cold winds from the mountains inland blow.
To Kallista they drive from miles away
To celebrate a forest Christmas Day
The sun glow in a canopy of blue
And steaks are sizzling on the barbecue.
So many people at Grant's Picnic Ground
On Christmas Day they come from miles around
At forest park the kin and families meet
To drink their beer and eat and eat and eat.
At Kallista on Christmas Day all breeds of man
From Italy and Greece and Pakistan
The Germans and the Dutch and Japanese
And the Cypriots and the Turks amongst all these.
And white skinned Aussie there to celebrate
His esky full of beer meat on his plate
He open his esky pass around the beer
A happy Christmas mate and lots of cheer.
And I think of windswept Country miles away
Where sun doesn't ever shine on Christmas Day
Where in houses by the bogs near Clara hill
In heated rooms they drink and eat their fill.
Francis Duggan's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (It's Not Like Christmas by Francis Duggan )
Did you read them?
- Our world is without any kind of wisdom, MOHAMMAD SKATI
- Dream packed drama, hasmukh amathalal
- A fool واحد احمق, MOHAMMAD SKATI
- Quite same, hasmukh amathalal
- Lack of wisdom, MOHAMMAD SKATI
- Wisdom, MOHAMMAD SKATI
- The Exquisite Thing, Mark R. Elias
- Leaf to Fall, Tirupathi Chandrupatla
- Strange Paradox, Sandra Feldman
- Celebrate Life, david kush
Poem of the Day
- Still I Rise, Maya Angelou
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- Dreams, Langston Hughes
- If You Forget Me, Pablo Neruda
- Nothing Gold Can Stay, Robert Frost
- Annabel Lee, Edgar Allan Poe
- Stopping by Woods on a Snowy Evening, Robert Frost
- "Hope" is the thing with feathers, Emily Dickinson
- Autumn, Alexander Sergeyevich Pushkin
- Invictus, William Ernest Henley
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
(1 February 1902 – 22 May 1967)
William Butler Yeats
(13 June 1865 – 28 January 1939)
(10 December 1830 – 15 May 1886)
Edgar Allan Poe
(19 January 1809 - 7 October 1849)
Edna St. Vincent Millay
(22 February 1892 – 19 October 1950)
- Heather Burns
(24 January 1572 - 31 March 1631)