It Rained Today
That fuzzy haired teacher stood before us.
His fist elegantly pressed into his side.
Asking big questions, he paused.
Pressing his fingers to his forehead,
Finally he addressed us;
Talk to somebody, he said,
Ask them what happiness is, he said.
Tap - tap - tap my nails on the desktop.
Awkwardly fast, I turned, avoiding eye contact to my right,
Blurted - so what's happiness!
Smiling almost too big.
He slouched over himself, his foot against the desk,
Leaning back like a dare devil.
Casually tossing his head back and his open palm up in the air.
'I have no f*cking idea', he could have been sighing.
Yeah, me either.
Making his way back to the front of the room,
The professor who dresses like part of a stage crew,
He said, ask them where happiness comes from.
So again, a nervous tick type turn.
'Well, where do you think it comes from? '
He sat forward, looked right at me,
He smiled, 'I don't know man.
Emily Beck's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (It Rained Today by Emily Beck )
- Science and Religion, SANDIP GOSWAMI
- ............. Traveling To Meet Minor In.., Is It Poetry
- So Much More, Sandra Feldman
- 157. An Ex's Word Is Easily Broken, John Westlake
- Kiss Me, Adriana Avilaa
- She Knew it was Irrational, Jacqueline Nash
- pass the offering plate, Mandolyn ...
- If Your Reflection Could Kill, Russell Nero
- The blues, blaz zigon
- Feminine Beauty, chanchal gupta
Poem of the Day
- Autumn, Alexander Sergeyevich Pushkin
- Still I Rise, Maya Angelou
- Phenomenal Woman, Maya Angelou
- I Know Why The Caged Bird Sings, Maya Angelou
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- If You Forget Me, Pablo Neruda
- Annabel Lee, Edgar Allan Poe
- The Tiger, William Blake
- Dreams, Langston Hughes
- No Man Is An Island, John Donne
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
Edgar Allan Poe
(19 January 1809 - 7 October 1849)
- Heather Burns
(1 February 1902 – 22 May 1967)
- Alexander Sergeyevich Pushkin
(10 December 1830 – 15 May 1886)
(28 November 1757 – 12 August 1827)
(27 October 1914 – 9 November 1953)