It Rained Today
That fuzzy haired teacher stood before us.
His fist elegantly pressed into his side.
Asking big questions, he paused.
Pressing his fingers to his forehead,
Finally he addressed us;
Talk to somebody, he said,
Ask them what happiness is, he said.
Tap - tap - tap my nails on the desktop.
Awkwardly fast, I turned, avoiding eye contact to my right,
Blurted - so what's happiness!
Smiling almost too big.
He slouched over himself, his foot against the desk,
Leaning back like a dare devil.
Casually tossing his head back and his open palm up in the air.
'I have no f*cking idea', he could have been sighing.
Yeah, me either.
Making his way back to the front of the room,
The professor who dresses like part of a stage crew,
He said, ask them where happiness comes from.
So again, a nervous tick type turn.
'Well, where do you think it comes from? '
He sat forward, looked right at me,
He smiled, 'I don't know man.
Emily Beck's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (It Rained Today by Emily Beck )
The Road Not Taken
If You Forget Me
Still I Rise
Edgar Allan Poe
Stopping by Woods on a Snowy Evening
I Know Why The Caged Bird Sings
William Ernest Henley
- Battle of our own life, binod bastola
- Before you've brushed your teeth, Mark Heathcote
- Arrival, Tony Adah
- Nigeria I Hail Thee, Tega Akpomraphiphe
- Her Smile, Tega Akpomraphiphe
- ©Getting Over You, Bandile Matsenjwa
- Lost and Found (one f word at the end), Anthony Di'anno
- raining in scotland, ko the skipper
- THE BLACK MAN WITH A KNIFE, johnny case
- I don't know if I know me, Logan Fulk