It Rained Today
That fuzzy haired teacher stood before us.
His fist elegantly pressed into his side.
Asking big questions, he paused.
Pressing his fingers to his forehead,
Finally he addressed us;
Talk to somebody, he said,
Ask them what happiness is, he said.
Tap - tap - tap my nails on the desktop.
Awkwardly fast, I turned, avoiding eye contact to my right,
Blurted - so what's happiness!
Smiling almost too big.
He slouched over himself, his foot against the desk,
Leaning back like a dare devil.
Casually tossing his head back and his open palm up in the air.
'I have no f*cking idea', he could have been sighing.
Yeah, me either.
Making his way back to the front of the room,
The professor who dresses like part of a stage crew,
He said, ask them where happiness comes from.
So again, a nervous tick type turn.
'Well, where do you think it comes from? '
He sat forward, looked right at me,
He smiled, 'I don't know man.
Emily Beck's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (It Rained Today by Emily Beck )
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
(10 December 1830 – 15 May 1886)
(1 February 1902 – 22 May 1967)
(7 May 1861 – 7 August 1941)
(28 November 1757 – 12 August 1827)
- A Red, Red Rose, Robert Burns
- Address To A Haggis, Robert Burns
- Still I Rise, Maya Angelou
- A Dream, Robert Burns
- To A Mouse, Robert Burns
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- Tonight I can write the saddest lines, Pablo Neruda
- Who Ever Loved That Loved Not at First S.., Christopher Marlowe
- A Man's a Man for A' That, Robert Burns
- A Fond Kiss, Robert Burns
Poem of the Day
- Phyllis, Kim Barney
- Twilight, Mario,Lucien,Rene Odekerken
- Writer's Block, Paul Butters
- Johnny Giles (Clerihew), Paul Butters
- Vapour Trail Sky, Paul Gerard Reed
- Carrot/Stick Solution, Ima Ryma
- electrification, oskar hansen
- Love And Respect, RoseAnn V. Shawiak
- Curtain of Fog, V P Mahur
- Love's Dictum, L. E. O. Gibraltar