Insects feel, how to survive,
It’s nothing that they’re taught,
Every bee makes a perfect hive,
As a fly avoids getting caught.
Whales swim a thousand miles,
To turn around and head back,
Passing by a thousand isles,
As if, they’re locked on track.
From California, adults bear on,
To a stream in the Bering Strait,
Pacific Salmon return to spawn,
Somehow aware, not to be late.
Mighty grizzly nestled down,
Winter knocking on the door,
Resting long upon the ground,
With only body fat to care for.
Woven nests of sticks and vines,
Fertile eggs, cautiously kept warm,
Knowing all of natures signs,
Naturally willing to conform.
Wings and bodies feeling full,
Leap of faith, spreading wide,
Flapping with a push and pull,
Then slightly pause, into a glide.
Magically the spider weaves,
A perfect net to catch its prey,
Depending on, where it perceives,
How much bounty for each day.
Humans are a different breed,
It’s by learning, they survived,
Instinct’s gone, to tend their need,
Conditioning, has been contrived.
G.R. Gaus's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Poet's Notes about The Poem
Comments about this poem (Instinct by G.R. Gaus )
Did you read them?
- My Home, Fatima Nusairat
- Strength is POWER!, Rosa. L Tenezaca
- With love at once, hasmukh amathalal
- Through A Puppet's Eyes (2), Dilantha Gunawardana
- Illusion perpetuates., Rm.Shanmugam Chettiar.
- Love inspired meetings inspire, Rm.Shanmugam Chettiar.
- Autumn, Deborah Kelley
- Fear of God?, Rm.Shanmugam Chettiar.
- Keep On Groovin', Lawrence S. Pertillar
- Benefits For Them Do Not Exist, Lawrence S. Pertillar
Poem of the Day
- Still I Rise, Maya Angelou
- Fire and Ice, Robert Frost
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- Dreams, Langston Hughes
- Stopping by Woods on a Snowy Evening, Robert Frost
- If, Rudyard Kipling
- If You Forget Me, Pablo Neruda
- Daffodils, William Wordsworth
- Phenomenal Woman, Maya Angelou
- Nothing Gold Can Stay, Robert Frost
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
(1 February 1902 – 22 May 1967)
Edgar Allan Poe
(19 January 1809 - 7 October 1849)
(10 December 1830 – 15 May 1886)
(16 August 1920 – 9 March 1994)
(22 March 1941 -)