Insects feel, how to survive,
It’s nothing that they’re taught,
Every bee makes a perfect hive,
As a fly avoids getting caught.
Whales swim a thousand miles,
To turn around and head back,
Passing by a thousand isles,
As if, they’re locked on track.
From California, adults bear on,
To a stream in the Bering Strait,
Pacific Salmon return to spawn,
Somehow aware, not to be late.
Mighty grizzly nestled down,
Winter knocking on the door,
Resting long upon the ground,
With only body fat to care for.
Woven nests of sticks and vines,
Fertile eggs, cautiously kept warm,
Knowing all of natures signs,
Naturally willing to conform.
Wings and bodies feeling full,
Leap of faith, spreading wide,
Flapping with a push and pull,
Then slightly pause, into a glide.
Magically the spider weaves,
A perfect net to catch its prey,
Depending on, where it perceives,
How much bounty for each day.
Humans are a different breed,
It’s by learning, they survived,
Instinct’s gone, to tend their need,
Conditioning, has been contrived.
G.R. Gaus's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Poet's Notes about The Poem
Comments about this poem (Instinct by G.R. Gaus )
- no more love story, The Princess is
- Illogical, Margaret Moran
- Want, The Princess is
- The Passing of the Lord, Translation of .., T (no first name) Wignesan
- Teleskof, Edward Kofi Louis
- Bearing With One Another, Edward Kofi Louis
- Danyell, Edward Kofi Louis
- ap english, imani halley
- Out Of Love, Edward Kofi Louis
- Pagan To The Truth, Edward Kofi Louis
Poem of the Day
- Mid-Term Break, Seamus Heaney
- Daffodils, William Wordsworth
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- avenues america, rwetewrt erwtwer
- Phenomenal Woman, Maya Angelou
- Fire and Ice, Robert Frost
- A Poison Tree, William Blake
- Annabel Lee, Edgar Allan Poe
- If You Forget Me, Pablo Neruda
- Still I Rise, Maya Angelou
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
(28 November 1757 – 12 August 1827)
(April 13,1939 - August 30, 2013)
- Heather Burns
(27 October 1914 – 9 November 1953)