110 degrees in the shade
40 percent humidity...
As the soles of my sneakers
Forming to the blacktop..
Through my pores
As though water through a sieve...
As I peel my shirt
From my back
I feel a weight lifted
As my sopping wet shirt
Slams with a liquid splatter
To the ground
Followed swiftly by
The sizzle of
Boiling water's evaporation
A statically muffled A.M.
'It's the top of the inning, bases are loaded...'
The day's big sporting event...
A heavy weight Of saturation
Looming Mid air,
Bending distant stop signs...
To remind you of the
As I reach into the cooler
For a luke warm,
Half drank bottle of water
Floating atop the
'Used to be' ice
I see a group of young children
None the wiser
Of the wasted youth
jason brierly's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (Innocence lost by jason brierly )
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
(1 February 1902 – 22 May 1967)
Edgar Allan Poe
(19 January 1809 - 7 October 1849)
(16 August 1920 – 9 March 1994)
(10 December 1830 – 15 May 1886)
(28 November 1757 – 12 August 1827)
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
(31 May 1819 - 26 March 1892)
(9 November 1928 – 4 October 1974)
- Still I Rise, Maya Angelou
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- Do Not Stand At My Grave And Weep, Mary Elizabeth Frye
- Dreams, Langston Hughes
- Phenomenal Woman, Maya Angelou
- Alone, Edgar Allan Poe
- I Know Why The Caged Bird Sings, Maya Angelou
- Stopping by Woods on a Snowy Evening, Robert Frost
- If, Rudyard Kipling
- Annabel Lee, Edgar Allan Poe
Poem of the Day
- Epitaph, Bozhidar Pangelov
- unveil, baharak barzin
- Sciences Take xx xxx xx Original .., Lee Mack
- Queen Patreniallla - Part 2 Continued, QueenPatrenia Turner, Royalt ..
- Transitory, Babbling Brookes
- Having Fun, Noah Body
- winter, Clara Keiper
- After Rudyard Kipling, Josh Mitteldorf
- The cold will come, Gianfranco Aurilio
- Boredom, DEEPAK KUMAR PATTANAYAK