110 degrees in the shade
40 percent humidity...
As the soles of my sneakers
Forming to the blacktop..
Through my pores
As though water through a sieve...
As I peel my shirt
From my back
I feel a weight lifted
As my sopping wet shirt
Slams with a liquid splatter
To the ground
Followed swiftly by
The sizzle of
Boiling water's evaporation
A statically muffled A.M.
'It's the top of the inning, bases are loaded...'
The day's big sporting event...
A heavy weight Of saturation
Looming Mid air,
Bending distant stop signs...
To remind you of the
As I reach into the cooler
For a luke warm,
Half drank bottle of water
Floating atop the
'Used to be' ice
I see a group of young children
None the wiser
Of the wasted youth
jason brierly's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (Innocence lost by jason brierly )
- The Present, bryan wallace
- Vieze oren, Schone ogen, Madrason writer
- The Purple Lady., Achill Ladd
- My World, Douglas ClearyMaxwell
- Just Write It, Mark R. Elias
- A PHOTOGRAPH OF MYSELF AT AGE TEN, TAKEN.., NICHOLAS CAMPBELL
- Dainty Little Poem, Mark R. Elias
- 1959, NICHOLAS CAMPBELL
- TRANSIENT, NICHOLAS CAMPBELL
- எப்பொழுதும்!, Dr.V.K. Kanniappan
Poem of the Day
- 04 Tongues Made Of Glass, Shaun Shane
- Still I Rise, Maya Angelou
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- Phenomenal Woman, Maya Angelou
- Dreams, Langston Hughes
- A Dream Within A Dream, Edgar Allan Poe
- If You Forget Me, Pablo Neruda
- I Know Why The Caged Bird Sings, Maya Angelou
- Fire and Ice, Robert Frost
- Daffodils, William Wordsworth
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
(10 December 1830 – 15 May 1886)
Edgar Allan Poe
(19 January 1809 - 7 October 1849)
(1 February 1902 – 22 May 1967)
William Butler Yeats
(13 June 1865 – 28 January 1939)
(31 May 1819 - 26 March 1892)
(16 August 1920 – 9 March 1994)