110 degrees in the shade
40 percent humidity...
As the soles of my sneakers
Forming to the blacktop..
Through my pores
As though water through a sieve...
As I peel my shirt
From my back
I feel a weight lifted
As my sopping wet shirt
Slams with a liquid splatter
To the ground
Followed swiftly by
The sizzle of
Boiling water's evaporation
A statically muffled A.M.
'It's the top of the inning, bases are loaded...'
The day's big sporting event...
A heavy weight Of saturation
Looming Mid air,
Bending distant stop signs...
To remind you of the
As I reach into the cooler
For a luke warm,
Half drank bottle of water
Floating atop the
'Used to be' ice
I see a group of young children
None the wiser
Of the wasted youth
jason brierly's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (Innocence lost by jason brierly )
The Road Not Taken
If You Forget Me
Still I Rise
Edgar Allan Poe
Stopping by Woods on a Snowy Evening
I Know Why The Caged Bird Sings
William Ernest Henley
- A Vagabond, James Tate
- Wisdom or Behaviour!, Dr.V.K. Kanniappan
- Bright Pink Lipstick, Electric Lady
- Nazuk to Phool Bhi Hain, Aftab Alam
- COPLA 85 INVOCATION: This Bad Guy World, T (no first name) Wignesan
- Home Came LeBron, Ima Ryma
- If Tears Could Turn To That, Luis Estable
- A Tiny Black Spider, Daniel Brick
- Anticipation..., Dieter Ian Maree
- The Horrors of Hell, Luis Estable