The title of his book is eponymous
And so was the title of his father’s
Own book and his father’s father’s
Own book, stretching to the back
Frame of their family book club.
A family haunted by shadows of
Ineluctable sarcasm, each member
Waned early, greyed early by way
Of early emulous propensities.
Death fired stealthily at them
By way of frayed nerves, corsaged
On the thresholds of their rumpled tunics.
No one knew the cause of their deaths.
Cirrhosis of the arts, perhaps. Or better
Still, tumour of the printed word.
But they died actually – father, son
And father, in that order.
Withered rose petals formed the crux
Of their wreaths - thorny crowns
Borrowing from the ecce homo of
A sedated painter.
Their tombstones at a decrepit necropolis,
On the fetid rump of the village,
Lie on fallen, half-sepultured pulpits,
Carved in stones of putrid sands.
The epitaph on each head, eponymous,
Brief and straight to a deadening point.
Nkwachukwu Ogbuagu's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (Inheritance by Nkwachukwu Ogbuagu )
- Wonder, shafeeqrahman rahman
- Disguised, RoseAnn V. Shawiak
- Shuffling, ramesh rai
- Clouds., Harold R Hunt Sr
- The whooper, Harold R Hunt Sr
- The flood., Harold R Hunt Sr
- I can't sleep at night., Harold R Hunt Sr
- Matter Has No Matter, Curtlan Popo
- The snow is pretty., Harold R Hunt Sr
- The bells do ring., Harold R Hunt Sr
Poem of the Day
- The Rider, Naomi Shihab Nye
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- Phenomenal Woman, Maya Angelou
- Still I Rise, Maya Angelou
- Annabel Lee, Edgar Allan Poe
- Do Not Go Gentle Into That Good Night, Dylan Thomas
- Nothing Gold Can Stay, Robert Frost
- I Know Why The Caged Bird Sings, Maya Angelou
- Fire and Ice, Robert Frost
- As I Grew Older, Langston Hughes
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
(1 February 1902 – 22 May 1967)
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
Naomi Shihab Nye
(12 March 1952)
(31 May 1819 - 26 March 1892)
Edgar Allan Poe
(19 January 1809 - 7 October 1849)
- Heather Burns
(10 December 1830 – 15 May 1886)
(18 November 1939)