Dorothy (Alves) Holmes
In Tribute to Maya Angelou
She was my unmet sister.
I loved the wonder of her voice
Always so loud and clear.
I can hear it now, even in death's silence.
She speaks words of wisdom,
Heard around the world.
Words that encouraged, to give yourself
Another chance to do better...now
That you know better.
Her words of truth, in poetry, are profound
Pouring from a heart that has known
Trials and tribulations...knowing how to forgive,
One of life's best lessons.
Her words ring out to kings, presidents and
Masses of people, from every status in life.
She was blessed with many friends
And in this we shared another 'sisterhood'.
My elder by 4 years, states and cities apart.
I wish I had met her and had shared some
She would have recognized a sister, we both
Being poets who loved to sing.
She will be long remembered and cherished
As a gifted poet, her words lingering forever.
Dorothy (Alves) Holmes's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (In Tribute to Maya Angelou by Dorothy (Alves) Holmes )
(16 August 1920 – 9 March 1994)
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
(1 February 1902 – 22 May 1967)
(27 October 1914 – 9 November 1953)
(1886 - 1967)
Edgar Allan Poe
(19 January 1809 - 7 October 1849)
(28 November 1757 – 12 August 1827)
(10 December 1830 – 15 May 1886)
(30 December 1865 – 18 January 1936)
- Do Not Go Gentle Into That Good Night, Dylan Thomas
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- Stopping by Woods on a Snowy Evening, Robert Frost
- Annabel Lee, Edgar Allan Poe
- Invictus, William Ernest Henley
- Fire and Ice, Robert Frost
- 'My Christmas Prayer' (For all who have .., Linda Winchell
- Dreams, Langston Hughes
- A Life-Lesson, James Whitcomb Riley
- Alone, Edgar Allan Poe
Poem of the Day
- Excuses, Michelle Dragonfly
- They Say, Michelle Dragonfly
- someone asked me why i have so many jars.., Mandolyn ...
- Not A Fairytale, Apolynn Lagaras
- let's worship nothing, forever, Mandolyn ...
- Keep Patience and Stand, Kumarmani Mahakul
- Nothing Seems Right, Andrew Butler
- Seventeen Thoughts, A Lifetime, Kewayne Wadley
- Strangers Welcome, Kewayne Wadley
- What is truth?, Edward Clapham