Dorothy (Alves) Holmes
In Tribute to Maya Angelou
She was my unmet sister.
I loved the wonder of her voice
Always so loud and clear.
I can hear it now, even in death's silence.
She speaks words of wisdom,
Heard around the world.
Words that encouraged, to give yourself
Another chance to do better...now
That you know better.
Her words of truth, in poetry, are profound
Pouring from a heart that has known
Trials and tribulations...knowing how to forgive,
One of life's best lessons.
Her words ring out to kings, presidents and
Masses of people, from every status in life.
She was blessed with many friends
And in this we shared another 'sisterhood'.
My elder by 4 years, states and cities apart.
I wish I had met her and had shared some
She would have recognized a sister, we both
Being poets who loved to sing.
She will be long remembered and cherished
As a gifted poet, her words lingering forever.
Dorothy (Alves) Holmes's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (In Tribute to Maya Angelou by Dorothy (Alves) Holmes )
The Road Not Taken
If You Forget Me
Still I Rise
Edgar Allan Poe
Stopping by Woods on a Snowy Evening
I Know Why The Caged Bird Sings
William Ernest Henley
- hey ass-wipe, i love you, Mandolyn ...
- The Mystery Of Word, Bazi alis Subrata Ray
- Men who see no day, Zimba Sundrogo
- Handsome and king, hasmukh amathalal
- Stoned by sadness, Nalini Chaturvedi
- The Goodness of a Life-mate (Section-6 .., rajendran muthiah
- Heart to, hasmukh amathalal
- An Ode to my Tree, Kelly Curiel
- foliage, snehanair manikkath
- Love Lures Life! - sonnet-, Manjeshwari P MYSORE