John Hazon Palen
In This Year's Lent
The story starts while summer,
When I got back here.
I used to be having fears;
Now it's crystal-clear…
I was watching T.V. then,
Someone called my name.
Old, familiar faces grin,
Yearn me for something.
The youth prepares pantomime,
And they want me in.
Though I just can't be all fine,
It's for this year's Lent.
All this time I stayed away,
From them who gave pain.
But mom said it's time to change;
My heart's made certain.
The roles for each were given,
Rehearsals set in.
I'd gotten along with them.
This I never dreamt.
Our performance quite came off.
Doubts were gone aloft.
The experience improved my outlook.
God is good a lot!
In my mind one thing was cast,
It's true at all cost:
First impressions never last,
And the past is past.
(It's quite nice leaving behind the past memories that stain your mind and make you hold back to have a new, better perspective in life. Am I right? I guess it's a good ingredient for us to keep moving forward. Keep moving forward! AJA! God bless!)
John Hazon Palen's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (In This Year's Lent by John Hazon Palen )
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
(16 August 1920 – 9 March 1994)
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
(27 October 1914 – 9 November 1953)
(1 February 1902 – 22 May 1967)
(28 November 1757 – 12 August 1827)
Dante Gabriel Rossetti
(12 May 1828 – 9 April 1882)
Robert Louis Stevenson
Edgar Allan Poe
(19 January 1809 - 7 October 1849)
- The Saddest Poem, Pablo Neruda
- A Smile To Remember, Charles Bukowski
- Do Not Stand At My Grave And Weep, Mary Elizabeth Frye
- Invictus, William Ernest Henley
- If You Forget Me, Pablo Neruda
- Daffodils, William Wordsworth
- Still I Rise, Maya Angelou
- I Know Why The Caged Bird Sings, Maya Angelou
- Winter Solstice, Jacqueline C Nash
- A Child's Christmas in Wales, Dylan Thomas
Poem of the Day
- Insanity, Michael P. McParland
- Invisible, Michael P. McParland
- A Journey in a Winter Morning, Kumarmani Mahakul
- The Uninvited Guests, Tony Adah
- I Am Not Evil, Michael P. McParland
- Great Black Spectre, Michael P. McParland
- I can not substitute the present for the.., cristobal Benjumea
- I am not responsible for the passed, cristobal Benjumea
- I'm So Sorry, Michael P. McParland
- Avoiding, Michael P. McParland