John Hazon Palen
In This Year's Lent
The story starts while summer,
When I got back here.
I used to be having fears;
Now it's crystal-clear…
I was watching T.V. then,
Someone called my name.
Old, familiar faces grin,
Yearn me for something.
The youth prepares pantomime,
And they want me in.
Though I just can't be all fine,
It's for this year's Lent.
All this time I stayed away,
From them who gave pain.
But mom said it's time to change;
My heart's made certain.
The roles for each were given,
Rehearsals set in.
I'd gotten along with them.
This I never dreamt.
Our performance quite came off.
Doubts were gone aloft.
The experience improved my outlook.
God is good a lot!
In my mind one thing was cast,
It's true at all cost:
First impressions never last,
And the past is past.
(It's quite nice leaving behind the past memories that stain your mind and make you hold back to have a new, better perspective in life. Am I right? I guess it's a good ingredient for us to keep moving forward. Keep moving forward! AJA! God bless!)
John Hazon Palen's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (In This Year's Lent by John Hazon Palen )
- Haiku 'Market', miken newman
- The Fleeting Repeating Bubble Divine, Kaleb Falin
- Faith Is Our Refuge, Tom Zart
- Haiku 'Grace', miken newman
- The Preaching Of The Cross, Tom Zart
- Hanging By A Thread, Dexsta Ray
- Vampire Talk, Bruce Larkin
- Learning, Loving, Working, Teaching & Pp.., Tom Zart
- A Monster's Mom Says Good Night, Bruce Larkin
- Quick To Scream Your Failures But They M.., Dexsta Ray
Poem of the Day
- Daffodils, William Wordsworth
- Still I Rise, Maya Angelou
- Do Not Go Gentle Into That Good Night, Dylan Thomas
- Annabel Lee, Edgar Allan Poe
- If, Rudyard Kipling
- A Dream Within A Dream, Edgar Allan Poe
- No Man Is An Island, John Donne
- Stopping by Woods on a Snowy Evening, Robert Frost
- Phenomenal Woman, Maya Angelou
- I Know Why The Caged Bird Sings, Maya Angelou
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
Edgar Allan Poe
(19 January 1809 - 7 October 1849)
(1 February 1902 – 22 May 1967)
(26 April 1564 - 23 April 1616)
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
(31 October 1795 – 23 February 1821)
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
(27 October 1914 – 9 November 1953)
(28 November 1757 – 12 August 1827)