In The Shadow Of The Palace
LET us go out of the fog, John, out of the filmy persistent drizzle on the streets of Stockholm, let us put down the collars of our raincoats, take off our hats and sit in the newspapers office.
Let us sit among the telegrams-clickety-click-the kaiser's crown goes into the gutter and the Hohenzollern throne of a thousand years falls to pieces a one-hoss shay.
It is a fog night out and the umbrellas are up and the collars of the raincoats-and all the steamboats up and down the Baltic sea have their lights out and the wheelsmen sober.
Here the telegrams come-one king goes and another-butter is costly: there is no butter to buy for our bread in Stockholm-and a little patty of butter costs more than all the crowns of Germany.
Let us go out in the fog, John, let us roll up our raincoat collars and go on the streets where men are sneering at the kings.
Carl Sandburg's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (In The Shadow Of The Palace by Carl Sandburg )
Did you read them?
- America, Harold R Hunt Sr
- A Darkened Beauty, RoseAnn V. Shawiak
- Contemplation-6, another key...., Marshall Gass
- We Speak English., Harold R Hunt Sr
- Discotheque, Marshall Gass
- Come, Come....., Marshall Gass
- From In the mind, Harold R Hunt Sr
- Gramma's house., Harold R Hunt Sr
- Rubber-Band, Marshall Gass
- Stepping Into Your Mind, RoseAnn V. Shawiak
Poem of the Day
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- Fire and Ice, Robert Frost
- Dreams, Langston Hughes
- Annabel Lee, Edgar Allan Poe
- If You Forget Me, Pablo Neruda
- Phenomenal Woman, Maya Angelou
- Still I Rise, Maya Angelou
- I Know Why The Caged Bird Sings, Maya Angelou
- Nothing Gold Can Stay, Robert Frost
- Stopping by Woods on a Snowy Evening, Robert Frost
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
(1 February 1902 – 22 May 1967)
Edgar Allan Poe
(19 January 1809 - 7 October 1849)
(10 December 1830 – 15 May 1886)
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
(16 August 1920 – 9 March 1994)
(27 October 1914 – 9 November 1953)
- Heather Burns
(31 May 1819 - 26 March 1892)