In Search Of Alexander Pope
She who keeps instruction will soon learn a better way,
as will he who shuns correction oftentimes be led astray.
Discipline is not defined as never having fun.
Just don't do it in lieu of things you know need to be done.
Nobody can do everything; we all know this is true.
Regardless, though, what you've been told, there's something you can do.
They receive wisdom that walk with the wise,
but strife comes to those who have fools for allies.
Rather than cower from mountains too big for you to climb,
scale those you can and you'll recall they too were big one time.
Stay mindful of your actions because kids are watching you.
Tell them, "Do as I say" and then make sure that's what you do.
It matters not which rationalization that you've heard,
a man of principle makes sure his actions match his words.
Just so you know, these couplets were all written with the hope
that they might be compared to those of Alexander Pope.
William Chaplar's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (In Search Of Alexander Pope by William Chaplar )
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
(16 August 1920 – 9 March 1994)
(1 February 1902 – 22 May 1967)
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
(27 October 1914 – 9 November 1953)
William Butler Yeats
(13 June 1865 – 28 January 1939)
(August 5, 1934)
Krishna Shivkumar yadav
- Invictus, William Ernest Henley
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- Do Not Go Gentle Into That Good Night, Dylan Thomas
- Still I Rise, Maya Angelou
- I Know Why The Caged Bird Sings, Maya Angelou
- If You Forget Me, Pablo Neruda
- A Life-Lesson, James Whitcomb Riley
- Blue Roses, Rudyard Kipling
- Stopping by Woods on a Snowy Evening, Robert Frost
- A Smile To Remember, Charles Bukowski
Poem of the Day
- Not A Fairytale, Apolynn Lagaras
- let's worship nothing, forever, Mandolyn ...
- Keep Patience and Stand, Kumarmani Mahakul
- Nothing Seems Right, Andrew Butler
- Seventeen Thoughts, A Lifetime, Kewayne Wadley
- Strangers Welcome, Kewayne Wadley
- What is truth?, Edward Clapham
- A Most Happy Holiday, Dorothy (Alves) Holmes
- Christmas - Christmas, Dorothy (Alves) Holmes
- Cage, Sarvesh wahie