In Search Of Alexander Pope
She who keeps instruction will soon learn a better way,
as will he who shuns correction oftentimes be led astray.
Discipline is not defined as never having fun.
Just don't do it in lieu of things you know need to be done.
Nobody can do everything; we all know this is true.
Regardless, though, what you've been told, there's something you can do.
They receive wisdom that walk with the wise,
but strife comes to those who have fools for allies.
Rather than cower from mountains too big for you to climb,
scale those you can and you'll recall they too were big one time.
Stay mindful of your actions because kids are watching you.
Tell them, "Do as I say" and then make sure that's what you do.
It matters not which rationalization that you've heard,
a man of principle makes sure his actions match his words.
Just so you know, these couplets were all written with the hope
that they might be compared to those of Alexander Pope.
William Chaplar's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (In Search Of Alexander Pope by William Chaplar )
- The Soldier's Return: A Ballad, Robert Burns
- Epistle to Hugh Parker, Robert Burns
- Everlasting, Cee Bea
- Oh Daisy, Prophmatt . . .
- Versified Reply to an Invitation, Robert Burns
- Suppressed Stanzas of "The Vision&q.., Robert Burns
- mask, Aftab Alam
- উপলব্ধি-২, Yakub Ali
- The Soul Of A Woman, Arno Le Roux
- Architect Of Harmony, Arno Le Roux
Poem of the Day
- Daffodils, William Wordsworth
- Warning, Jenny Joseph
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- Do Not Go Gentle Into That Good Night, Dylan Thomas
- Still I Rise, Maya Angelou
- Stopping by Woods on a Snowy Evening, Robert Frost
- Invictus, William Ernest Henley
- And Death Shall Have No Dominion, Dylan Thomas
- All the World's a Stage, William Shakespeare
- I Know Why The Caged Bird Sings, Maya Angelou
(16 August 1920 – 9 March 1994)
(10 December 1830 – 15 May 1886)
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
(20 October 1854 – 10 November 1891)
(27 October 1914 – 9 November 1953)
(26 April 1564 - 23 April 1616)
- Heather Burns
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
William Butler Yeats
(13 June 1865 – 28 January 1939)