In Search Of Alexander Pope
She who keeps instruction will soon learn a better way,
as will he who shuns correction oftentimes be led astray.
Discipline is not defined as never having fun.
Just don't do it in lieu of things you know need to be done.
Nobody can do everything; we all know this is true.
Regardless, though, what you've been told, there's something you can do.
They receive wisdom that walk with the wise,
but strife comes to those who have fools for allies.
Rather than cower from mountains too big for you to climb,
scale those you can and you'll recall they too were big one time.
Stay mindful of your actions because kids are watching you.
Tell them, "Do as I say" and then make sure that's what you do.
It matters not which rationalization that you've heard,
a man of principle makes sure his actions match his words.
Just so you know, these couplets were all written with the hope
that they might be compared to those of Alexander Pope.
William Chaplar's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (In Search Of Alexander Pope by William Chaplar )
- 'Did I ever Exist? ', Ananta Madhavan
- Keep safe, hasmukh amathalal
- Sunshine, Hanh Chau
- The Power Of Prayer, Tom Zart
- Mini Pool Tournament, RoseAnn V. Shawiak
- Tonight And Every Night, Michael McParland
- Ongoing Mental De-Evolution, michael walkerjohn
- Crossroads Of Destiny, RoseAnn V. Shawiak
- Spaces Of Intellect, RoseAnn V. Shawiak
- I Know Why Old People Are Sometimes Very.., Shalom Freedman
Poem of the Day
- Still I Rise, Maya Angelou
- Phenomenal Woman, Maya Angelou
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- Do Not Go Gentle Into That Good Night, Dylan Thomas
- If You Forget Me, Pablo Neruda
- I Know Why The Caged Bird Sings, Maya Angelou
- Stopping by Woods on a Snowy Evening, Robert Frost
- Annabel Lee, Edgar Allan Poe
- Dreams, Langston Hughes
- Alone, Maya Angelou
(10 December 1830 – 15 May 1886)
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
Edgar Allan Poe
(19 January 1809 - 7 October 1849)
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
(1 February 1902 – 22 May 1967)
(1 February 1927)
(13 September 1916 – 23 November 1990)
(16 August 1920 – 9 March 1994)
(31 May 1819 - 26 March 1892)