Mary Hannay Foott
In Memoriam C. G. Gordon
Devotion! When thy name is named,
What matchless visions rise!
The Hebrew, leaving Pharoah's house,
To Israel's rescue flies;
The Moabitess, gleans, content,
Beneath the burning skies.
The flower of Christendom is given
To gain the Holy Grave;
O'er Acre and o'er Askelon
The blessed banners wave;
By Edward's bed I see thee kneel,
O Queen beloved and brave!
Who art thou, girl, in warrior garb,
St. Catherine's sword in hand?
'Tis La Pucelle, and France is free;
O shame that thou must stand
Bound, helpless, at the cruel stake,
To wait the headman's brand!
And now upon the wild North Sea
From Lindisfarne's bleak shore,
To save the lives of shipwrecked men
A maiden plies the oar;
Seamen and landsmen honour thee,
Grace Darling, evermore!
And swifter, closer, as I muse,
The splendid spectres loom;
And stately stands among them one
To glory passed from gloom,
But late, by waters of the Nile,
In walls of lost Khartoum!
Mary Hannay Foott's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (In Memoriam C. G. Gordon by Mary Hannay Foott )
- Emptiness Of A Full Suitcase, Arno Le Roux
- Sree Budha, Gangadharan nair Pulingat..
- Little Planet, Kazuko Shiraishi
- For you, shall never I be old, Saheb Mohapatra
- Because I love you much, Saheb Mohapatra
- God, it's the man speaking, Saheb Mohapatra
- Zoos, Gangadharan nair Pulingat..
- How would be my last breathe?, Saheb Mohapatra
- Fall, Frank Avon
- LIMERICK-2 (Saloon day), Saheb Mohapatra
Poem of the Day
- Daffodils, William Wordsworth
- Still I Rise, Maya Angelou
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- Do Not Go Gentle Into That Good Night, Dylan Thomas
- Fire and Ice, Robert Frost
- Home And Love, Robert William Service
- Death is Nothing at All, Henry Scott Holland
- Annabel Lee, Edgar Allan Poe
- Dreams, Langston Hughes
- Hedgehog, Paul Muldoon
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
(1679 - 1718)
(8 August 1884 – 29 January 1933)
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
(16 August 1920 – 9 March 1994)
(27 October 1914 – 9 November 1953)
(13 September 1916 – 23 November 1990)
(1 February 1902 – 22 May 1967)
William Butler Yeats
(13 June 1865 – 28 January 1939)