Importance of Rain
Through rain’s pouring source
The world maintains its course
Rain in itself is a food
And it verily produces precious food.
If clouds with hold the promised rain
Hunger and distress in the world reign
If clouds impart the bounteous rain
It restores hunger’s gnawing pain.
If no drops of rain are shed
Even the blades of grass are dead
If clouds curb their gifts
Even wealth of wide sea drifts.
If the sky becomes practically dry
Offerings are nil even to God in heaven high
If the clouds their waters cease
People cannot offer alms to ease.
In Hindu tradition as God Himself, is rain regarded
And as “Varuna Bhagavan” is deified and denoted!
chandra thiagarajan's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Poet's Notes about The Poem
It was authored by Saint Thiruvalluvar, a great Tamil Poet who lived 30years before Christ.
It has been translated in over 60 languages of the world.
Comments about this poem (Importance of Rain by chandra thiagarajan )
- A Bystander, Sibghatullah Khan
- A Leaf of Small Boat, Rose Lu ( Bing hua )
- Forget Forgive Focus Follow and have Fai.., Dimitri Jagodinski
- I Wrote Too Much, Shalom Freedman
- If You are Sad, Turn the Pages, Hebert Logerie
- Time Flies, Tony Adah
- The Troika's Gone, sasha yarlexolnikov
- I Am as Dull as Everyday, Sara Fielder
- Vendémiaire Wednesdays, sasha yarlexolnikov
- Incandescent Drapes, sasha yarlexolnikov