Importance of Rain
Through rain’s pouring source
The world maintains its course
Rain in itself is a food
And it verily produces precious food.
If clouds with hold the promised rain
Hunger and distress in the world reign
If clouds impart the bounteous rain
It restores hunger’s gnawing pain.
If no drops of rain are shed
Even the blades of grass are dead
If clouds curb their gifts
Even wealth of wide sea drifts.
If the sky becomes practically dry
Offerings are nil even to God in heaven high
If the clouds their waters cease
People cannot offer alms to ease.
In Hindu tradition as God Himself, is rain regarded
And as “Varuna Bhagavan” is deified and denoted!
chandra thiagarajan's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Poet's Notes about The Poem
It was authored by Saint Thiruvalluvar, a great Tamil Poet who lived 30years before Christ.
It has been translated in over 60 languages of the world.
Comments about this poem (Importance of Rain by chandra thiagarajan )
- My Mermaid Muse, Erato
- A Zulu Kingdom, Margaret Alice Second
- Forever Purpurating Lavender, Stephen Warren Williams
- No Reason To Rush, Kewayne Wadley
- For To Be An Indian English Poet, An Eng.., Bijay Kant Dubey
- A Bag of Old Photographs, Mikey Bachman
- Surrealistic Bagging, michael walkerjohn
- What at a Sunrise Ends, michael walkerjohn
- Les Collaborations de Vie, michael walkerjohn
- Only movement, hasmukh amathalal
Poem of the Day
- Do Not Go Gentle Into That Good Night, Dylan Thomas
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- Daffodils, William Wordsworth
- An Enigma, Edgar Allan Poe
- If You Forget Me, Pablo Neruda
- And Death Shall Have No Dominion, Dylan Thomas
- Phenomenal Woman, Maya Angelou
- Fire and Ice, Robert Frost
- All the World's a Stage, William Shakespeare
- Stopping by Woods on a Snowy Evening, Robert Frost
(30 December 1865 – 18 January 1936)
(27 October 1914 – 9 November 1953)
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
Edgar Allan Poe
(19 January 1809 - 7 October 1849)
(26 April 1564 - 23 April 1616)
(13 February 1879 - 2 March 1949)
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
- Heather Burns
(31 October 1795 – 23 February 1821)