If Only I Was Perfect!
And then word got around,
Then on the telly, I suspect,
In colour and in sound...
No make-up needed for my face,
Great high definition,
Of pimples there would be no trace,
For I would seem a vision...
Oh! What wondrous clothes to wear,
A dazzling chronograph,
A smile to make the ladies stare,
With jokes to make them laugh...
A tale or two to scintillate,
My new film out next week,
Enough to fill James Bond with hate,
With me still at my peak...
A lovely lady on each arm,
Spellbound, so deep in love,
Head over heels for I would charm
With soft words like a dove...
And then to stand and share my song,
My brand new number one,
To sing it proud and sing it strong,
Yet with a sense of fun...
Red carpets here, red carpets there,
My life would be a blur,
With happiness beyond compare,
I could cause quite a stir...
Folks green with envy all the time,
Yet deep within my thrall,
Like Liberace, so sublime,
Impressing one and all...
But I'm just me, just me, just me,
I'm no great shakes, I know,
Not known as some celebrity,
I merely come and go...
No photos in the magazines,
No zoom lens and no flash,
I'm just like other human beings
And always strapped for cash!
Denis Martindale's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Poet's Notes about The Poem
Comments about this poem (If Only I Was Perfect! by Denis Martindale )
- Epigram—The Toad-eater, Robert Burns
- Second Epistle to Robert Graham, Esq., o.., Robert Burns
- CRAZY COTTON LIMERICK, Philo Yan
- The Calf, Robert Burns
- The Sometime Sportsman Greets the Spring, John Updike
- In The Shadow of Darkness, Adeosun Pelumi
- Mally's meek, Mally's sweet, Robert Burns
- Planting Trees, John Updike
- I Missed His Book, But I Read His Name, John Updike
- The Purple Island, Phineas Fletcher
Poem of the Day
- Daffodils, William Wordsworth
- Do Not Go Gentle Into That Good Night, Dylan Thomas
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- Fear No More, William Shakespeare
- Still I Rise, Maya Angelou
- "Hope" is the thing with feathers, Emily Dickinson
- Naming of Parts, Henry Reed
- Warning, Jenny Joseph
- A Fairy Song, William Shakespeare
- Annabel Lee, Edgar Allan Poe
(10 December 1830 – 15 May 1886)
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
(26 April 1564 - 23 April 1616)
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
(28 November 1757 – 12 August 1827)
(8 February 1911 – 6 October 1979)
(27 October 1914 – 9 November 1953)
Edna St. Vincent Millay
(22 February 1892 – 19 October 1950)
- Heather Burns