If Only I Was Perfect!
And then word got around,
Then on the telly, I suspect,
In colour and in sound...
No make-up needed for my face,
Great high definition,
Of pimples there would be no trace,
For I would seem a vision...
Oh! What wondrous clothes to wear,
A dazzling chronograph,
A smile to make the ladies stare,
With jokes to make them laugh...
A tale or two to scintillate,
My new film out next week,
Enough to fill James Bond with hate,
With me still at my peak...
A lovely lady on each arm,
Spellbound, so deep in love,
Head over heels for I would charm
With soft words like a dove...
And then to stand and share my song,
My brand new number one,
To sing it proud and sing it strong,
Yet with a sense of fun...
Red carpets here, red carpets there,
My life would be a blur,
With happiness beyond compare,
I could cause quite a stir...
Folks green with envy all the time,
Yet deep within my thrall,
Like Liberace, so sublime,
Impressing one and all...
But I'm just me, just me, just me,
I'm no great shakes, I know,
Not known as some celebrity,
I merely come and go...
No photos in the magazines,
No zoom lens and no flash,
I'm just like other human beings
And always strapped for cash!
Denis Martindale's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Poet's Notes about The Poem
Comments about this poem (If Only I Was Perfect! by Denis Martindale )
- In the memory of Faez, Nassy Fesharaki
- I Turned on the News Today, Vera Sidhwa
- From A Son To His Divine Mother(Saroda), Bazi alis Subrata Ray
- Of the Depression, Javed Latoo
- Blue Eyes, Ronald Chapman
- A Tiny Plant, Manira Khan
- Pure femininity, Erato
- A Man's Oft-hidden Tears, Maurice Harris
- Contentment, Katherine Nordhaus
- The News Explained it to Me, Vera Sidhwa
Poem of the Day
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- Phenomenal Woman, Maya Angelou
- Still I Rise, Maya Angelou
- Dreams, Langston Hughes
- Fire and Ice, Robert Frost
- Annabel Lee, Edgar Allan Poe
- If, Rudyard Kipling
- A Drinking Song, William Butler Yeats
- I Know Why The Caged Bird Sings, Maya Angelou
- As I Grew Older, Langston Hughes
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
(10 December 1830 – 15 May 1886)
(1 February 1902 – 22 May 1967)
(16 August 1920 – 9 March 1994)
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
Edgar Allan Poe
(19 January 1809 - 7 October 1849)
Mewlana Jalaluddin Rumi
(1207 - 1273)
(27 October 1914 – 9 November 1953)
- Heather Burns