David Lewis Paget
If Only I'd Cared...
How did I lose you, I confess
It couldn’t be love, but carelessness,
I thought the years in their passing might
Be spent in caring, and bind us tight.
For I was there in the days untold
To watch your faltering steps unfold,
To see you when I came home at night
And rock your cradle in pure delight.
I lit the fires with a paper spill
Protecting you from the winter chill
And prayed for you to the Lord above
For sending his gentle sign of love.
I watched you form, I watched you grow
And sometimes had to be strict, I know,
But did whatever I could to guide
With the love that I felt for you, inside.
Then one day, off in the world you went
To the great adventure life had sent,
And still I followed you, day by day
In your youthful follies and wayward way.
And wasn’t I there when you came back home
With an open door from your urge to roam?
I tried to nurture the friend in you
As a father’s love has a need to do.
Then you had little ones of your own
And the years sped by, the children grown
You fought and struggled and did your best
Then you, like me had an empty nest.
But you grew bitter and full of doubt
And questioned what life was all about,
While I still offered a caring hand
In hopes that your grieving heart would mend.
I may be old and you’re not so young
Though still I was proud to call you son,
But now, for reasons I just can’t see
You seem to have turned your back on me.
Your cruel words, like a pointed dart
Have finally broken this old man’s heart,
I wouldn’t be feeling this bleak distress
If only I’d cared not more, but less.
8 April 2013
David Lewis Paget's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (If Only I'd Cared... by David Lewis Paget )
- Kill not thy conscience, Aftab Alam
- THROUGH MIDNIGHT, G. E. Gorfu
- The Harvesters, Jordy lustig
- EEL: Bird Whisperer, Saiom Shriver
- Bird Temperature, Saiom Shriver
- AOA▷오피뷰◁모든 분당오피 송파오피걸의 모든것 OPGＡNＤA/ＣOM, Yptjhjk0 Yptjhjk0
- To An Atheist, Saiom Shriver
- iPhone6+ 오피뷰 ⓐ강서오피녀 ⓑ송파오피 대란∠OPGＡNＤA/ＣOM∠, Yptjhjk0 Yptjhjk0
- Lucidity, Saiom Shriver
- L.Messi 오피뷰 구로오피 KTwiz 송파오피 OPGＡNＤA/ＣOM .., Yptjhjk0 Yptjhjk0
Poem of the Day
- Empires (a free verse poem.), J.A McManus
- If, Rudyard Kipling
- The Angel, William Blake
- A Fairy Song, William Shakespeare
- All the World's a Stage, William Shakespeare
- Talking Turkeys!, Benjamin Zephaniah
- Do Not Go Gentle Into That Good Night, Dylan Thomas
- Phenomenal Woman, Maya Angelou
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- Dreams, Langston Hughes
(28 November 1757 – 12 August 1827)
(26 April 1564 - 23 April 1616)
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
Alfred Lord Tennyson
(6 August 1809 – 6 October 1892)
(1 February 1902 – 22 May 1967)
(10 December 1830 – 15 May 1886)
(30 December 1865 – 18 January 1936)
(16 August 1920 – 9 March 1994)