If I Were Another
If I were another on the road, I would not have looked
back, I would have said what one traveler said
to another: Stranger! awaken
the guitar more! Delay our tomorrow so our road
may extend and space may widen for us, and we may get rescued
from our story together: you are so much yourself ... and I am
so much other than myself right here before you!
If I were another I would have belonged to the road,
neither you nor I would return. Awaken the guitar
and we might sense the unknown and the route that tempts
the traveler to test gravity. I am only
my steps, and you are both my compass and my chasm.
If I were another on the road, I would have
hidden my emotions in the suitcase, so my poem
would be of water, diaphanous, white,
abstract, and lightweight ... stronger than memory,
and weaker than dewdrops, and I would have said:
My identity is this expanse!
If I were another on the road, I would have said
to the guitar: Teach me an extra string!
Because the house is farther, and the road to it prettier—
that's what my new song would say. Whenever
the road lengthens the meaning renews, and I become two
on this road: I ... and another!
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (If I Were Another by Mahmoud Darwish )
The Road Not Taken
If You Forget Me
Still I Rise
Edgar Allan Poe
Stopping by Woods on a Snowy Evening
I Know Why The Caged Bird Sings
William Ernest Henley
- LOVE VS. SCIENCE, Beryl Dov
- SUNRISE 10 WORD, Beryl Dov
- BACK STABBING 10 WORD, Beryl Dov
- Dispersion of Time, Musfiq us shaleheen
- Honour Killing (For The Arabic People), Bijay Kant Dubey
- You Are In My Way, Susan Lacovara
- I FORGIVE YOU 10 WORD, Beryl Dov
- THE 4 STAGES OF YOUR CHILDREN'S LOVE, Beryl Dov
- SEARCH FOR PASSION 10 WORD, Beryl Dov
- How do i get to the top of the mountain, cristobal Benjumea