If I Had Love
A man has his lot to thank
When he has one to love.
Love is a handsome distraction,
From irksome matters of the heart,
Let he that owns it, pride himself in that.
That i had myself a love,
A place to which my heart could go,
When upon it, are oddities bestowed,
An escape from material pain,
Perhaps my lot i would thank alot.
Whereupon we have none,
A man must learn to love himself.
To be content in all
And the happiness he alone can invoke,
I cannot however think myself content,
For there is no solace in aloneness
And content, sometimes an excuse for failin to try.
Let he that has love, however,
Not pride himself gifted with much,
For therein lies its deceit,
For love must be fed and grown,
From the very matters from
Which it leads your mind escape.
That i had myself a love
- a thought that not too often cross my mind-
I could perhaps understand its folishness there of.
But i now lay no claim to none,
Nor wish i dearly for one,
But place my discontent on the,
Insatiable quest of a youthful heart.
Precious Okidika's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (If I Had Love by Precious Okidika )
- Clouds of brinkmanship, Oti Egwu
- Heroes, Nassy Fesharaki
- O1O→5959→1049 신규 대전오피, O1Oa5959a1049 O1Oa5959a1049
- 신세계 대전오피 010↔5959↔1049 대전서구오피, O1Oa5959a1049 O1Oa5959a1049
- The Empty Room, Maria Magdalena Biela
- Dream liner, Stephen Brian Brady
- peeping Tom, lee fones
- pension scheme, lee fones
- meri sohbat me........., sanjay kumar maurya
- Let me know, Cee Bea
Poem of the Day
- Do Not Go Gentle Into That Good Night, Dylan Thomas
- Still I Rise, Maya Angelou
- If, Rudyard Kipling
- Oh, the places you'll go!, Adens Kamwi
- As I Grew Older, Langston Hughes
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- Dreams, Langston Hughes
- No Man Is An Island, John Donne
- A Child's Christmas in Wales, Dylan Thomas
- If You Forget Me, Pablo Neruda
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
(28 November 1757 – 12 August 1827)
(27 October 1914 – 9 November 1953)
(1 February 1902 – 22 May 1967)
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
(16 August 1920 – 9 March 1994)
Edna St. Vincent Millay
(22 February 1892 – 19 October 1950)
William Butler Yeats
(13 June 1865 – 28 January 1939)
(26 April 1564 - 23 April 1616)