If I Had Love
A man has his lot to thank
When he has one to love.
Love is a handsome distraction,
From irksome matters of the heart,
Let he that owns it, pride himself in that.
That i had myself a love,
A place to which my heart could go,
When upon it, are oddities bestowed,
An escape from material pain,
Perhaps my lot i would thank alot.
Whereupon we have none,
A man must learn to love himself.
To be content in all
And the happiness he alone can invoke,
I cannot however think myself content,
For there is no solace in aloneness
And content, sometimes an excuse for failin to try.
Let he that has love, however,
Not pride himself gifted with much,
For therein lies its deceit,
For love must be fed and grown,
From the very matters from
Which it leads your mind escape.
That i had myself a love
- a thought that not too often cross my mind-
I could perhaps understand its folishness there of.
But i now lay no claim to none,
Nor wish i dearly for one,
But place my discontent on the,
Insatiable quest of a youthful heart.
Precious Okidika's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (If I Had Love by Precious Okidika )
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
(16 August 1920 – 9 March 1994)
(13 September 1916 – 23 November 1990)
William Butler Yeats
(13 June 1865 – 28 January 1939)
(27 October 1914 – 9 November 1953)
(30 October 1885 – 1 November 1972)
(28 November 1757 – 12 August 1827)
Edgar Allan Poe
(19 January 1809 - 7 October 1849)
Alfred Lord Tennyson
(6 August 1809 – 6 October 1892)
- The Saddest Poem, Pablo Neruda
- Stopping by Woods on a Snowy Evening, Robert Frost
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- Invictus, William Ernest Henley
- Winter Solstice, Jacqueline C Nash
- Daffodils, William Wordsworth
- A Child's Christmas in Wales, Dylan Thomas
- The Tiger, William Blake
- Annabel Lee, Edgar Allan Poe
- Still I Rise, Maya Angelou
Poem of the Day
- Recipe To Live, Asma Riaz Khan
- How Irritating, Margaret Alice Second
- Mind Over Matter (Scream), Joseph Archer
- Jesus among Us, michael hagwood
- Winterpoesie, Johann Joseph Clahsen
- Love the Spine, V P Mahur
- Vergißmeinnicht, Johann Joseph Clahsen
- Loving Lips, V P Mahur
- Am Winterwehr, Johann Joseph Clahsen
- Christmas Midnight - Christ - Mitternacht, Johann Joseph Clahsen