I would think!
I would think of night and day,
Of dogs and wolves that bay.
The unity of darkness and light,
The beauty that comes of twilight
And the solidarity that is born of common hatred.
How purple could be the child of blue and red
And why love spits fire and struggles
I would think of how the merchant haggles,
Only to pride himself in what he has bought.
I would consider the joy a man has in what he has wrought
Whether for good or evil and what he gave for its perfection.
I would think of time dissection
And how my name may be etched in the timetablets of history
'Spite that I may never forget the scars of bigotry!
Maybe I should peruse the sunken secrets of beauty?
Or the bonds between men and kings to whom they have sworn fealty?
I would consider those that die daily
And how others feast and carouse gaily.
Shall I consider the loyalty of dogs?
Hounds steadfast through whips and hugs
Shall I consider where my heart dwells?
In God? Dogs? Beauty? Wisdom? Or the deep depths of lonely wells?
I desire to think of things that are not
And how to deliver them from my soul where they rot
In day I should think of the dark,
At night I should dream of the lark!
Yes, I would think of night and day,
A penny for my thoughts 'else nought would I say.
Oke Christopher's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (I would think! by Oke Christopher )
(1 February 1902 – 22 May 1967)
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
(10 December 1830 – 15 May 1886)
(28 November 1757 – 12 August 1827)
Edgar Allan Poe
(19 January 1809 - 7 October 1849)
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
William Butler Yeats
(13 June 1865 – 28 January 1939)
- 04 Tongues Made Of Glass, Shaun Shane
- Still I Rise, Maya Angelou
- Dreams, Langston Hughes
- If, Rudyard Kipling
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- Daffodils, William Wordsworth
- I Know Why The Caged Bird Sings, Maya Angelou
- Fire and Ice, Robert Frost
- Annabel Lee, Edgar Allan Poe
- Phenomenal Woman, Maya Angelou
Poem of the Day
- Paper Hearts, Susan Lacovara
- Appreciating The Boss, RoseAnn V. Shawiak
- A poem for paige, jade mears
- Angel, Brian J. Stafford
- A Stone In Her Stream, George Dee Vuy
- The Cuckoo's Nest, David Lewis Paget
- Stay strong, jade mears
- Wanting to be free, jade mears
- A DIDACTIC POEM ABOUT WOMEN, AMADU KAMARA
- Velvet Voice, Susan Lacovara