I waited all day and night for just one word of love.
I waited for a week,
I waited for a month.
A whole year.
But it never came.
The cold winter nights came
And dragged their feet in the wet windy darkness.
All night my nose to the cold window pane,
Tearful and heavy hearted.
Night turned into day,
As the mellow beams of the young sun
Kissed the bedewed garden slabs
And shivered into thousand smithereens of sparkling candle lights,
Waking the flowers from their slumbrous torpour.
I watched the tiny robin skip perkily, chasing butterflies
And squirrels scuttling deftly on the wooden fence.
The same old silence. Heavier, more unbearable.
A garland of led. I slept.
Shaken by the old wise man,
I woke up trembling like from a nightmare,
On fire, burning with despair and shame.
His last words resounded like a whip on my conscience:
Child, life is like mathematics.
You get from it what you put into it.
You put nothing in, you get nothing back.
Mohabeer Beeharry's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (I waited... by Mohabeer Beeharry )
- General Sweeney Dies at 84, Ron Slate
- Respect the truth, men, gajanan mishra
- Respect truth, gajanan mishra
- Reunion, Ron Slate
- Save Your Questions, David Griebel
- Comfort, Alexandra Motschmann
- ISIS and Anti-terror victory, Alexandra Motschmann
- Strange Coincidence, Khairul Ahsan
- THE WRINKLED YOUNG LADY, Visato Kiso
- The Preacher's Wife, Effie Waller Smith
Poem of the Day
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- Daffodils, William Wordsworth
- If, Rudyard Kipling
- On the Pulse of Morning, Maya Angelou
- Still I Rise, Maya Angelou
- Phenomenal Woman, Maya Angelou
- No Man Is An Island, John Donne
- All the World's a Stage, William Shakespeare
- I Know Why The Caged Bird Sings, Maya Angelou
- A Dream Within A Dream, Edgar Allan Poe
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
(3 June 1926 – 5 April 1997)
(26 April 1564 - 23 April 1616)
(8 February 1911 – 6 October 1979)
(November 9 - 1937)
- Heather Burns