I waited all day and night for just one word of love.
I waited for a week,
I waited for a month.
A whole year.
But it never came.
The cold winter nights came
And dragged their feet in the wet windy darkness.
All night my nose to the cold window pane,
Tearful and heavy hearted.
Night turned into day,
As the mellow beams of the young sun
Kissed the bedewed garden slabs
And shivered into thousand smithereens of sparkling candle lights,
Waking the flowers from their slumbrous torpour.
I watched the tiny robin skip perkily, chasing butterflies
And squirrels scuttling deftly on the wooden fence.
The same old silence. Heavier, more unbearable.
A garland of led. I slept.
Shaken by the old wise man,
I woke up trembling like from a nightmare,
On fire, burning with despair and shame.
His last words resounded like a whip on my conscience:
Child, life is like mathematics.
You get from it what you put into it.
You put nothing in, you get nothing back.
Mohabeer Beeharry's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (I waited... by Mohabeer Beeharry )
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
(1 February 1902 – 22 May 1967)
Edgar Allan Poe
(19 January 1809 - 7 October 1849)
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
(10 December 1830 – 15 May 1886)
(31 May 1819 - 26 March 1892)
(13 September 1916 – 23 November 1990)
(16 August 1920 – 9 March 1994)
Percy Bysshe Shelley
- Still I Rise, Maya Angelou
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- Dreams, Langston Hughes
- I Know Why The Caged Bird Sings, Maya Angelou
- Stopping by Woods on a Snowy Evening, Robert Frost
- Annabel Lee, Edgar Allan Poe
- Phenomenal Woman, Maya Angelou
- If You Forget Me, Pablo Neruda
- As I Grew Older, Langston Hughes
- Fire and Ice, Robert Frost
Poem of the Day
- Is Every Man Your Equal?, Mr. Nobody
- To Live Without Being Betrayed, Lawrence S. Pertillar
- the giver tanka, Kayla Daley
- Your Love Is, Michael McParland
- Living A Life I Profess, RoseAnn V. Shawiak
- Devotional Plead to the Universal Mother*, Tushar Ray
- Living Life I Profess, RoseAnn V. Shawiak
- Self-learning School, Tushar Ray
- Theo van B, Hugh Mitchell
- Feather Rose haiku, Kayla Daley