I waited all day and night for just one word of love.
I waited for a week,
I waited for a month.
A whole year.
But it never came.
The cold winter nights came
And dragged their feet in the wet windy darkness.
All night my nose to the cold window pane,
Tearful and heavy hearted.
Night turned into day,
As the mellow beams of the young sun
Kissed the bedewed garden slabs
And shivered into thousand smithereens of sparkling candle lights,
Waking the flowers from their slumbrous torpour.
I watched the tiny robin skip perkily, chasing butterflies
And squirrels scuttling deftly on the wooden fence.
The same old silence. Heavier, more unbearable.
A garland of led. I slept.
Shaken by the old wise man,
I woke up trembling like from a nightmare,
On fire, burning with despair and shame.
His last words resounded like a whip on my conscience:
Child, life is like mathematics.
You get from it what you put into it.
You put nothing in, you get nothing back.
Mohabeer Beeharry's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (I waited... by Mohabeer Beeharry )
- Gigh Anamur n UmaDal, Mohamed Mahou
- -Silent Became My Walking Shadow-, Ali Sabry
- - I Wish You Weren't In-, Ali Sabry
- - Princes Was A Dream Girl Day and Night-, Ali Sabry
- - Hurtful Interaction-, Ali Sabry
- - Please My Lovely Lady Don't Leave Lone.., Ali Sabry
- - My heart loves you -, Ali Sabry
- Floppy, Sidi J. Mahtrow
- -I Do Not Only Loving You-, Ali Sabry
- -How Can I Sleep Honey & I Left You Lone.., Ali Sabry
Poem of the Day
- 04 Tongues Made Of Glass, Shaun Shane
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- A Woman's Last Word, Robert Browning
- Footsteps of Angels, Henry Wadsworth Longfellow
- If You Forget Me, Pablo Neruda
- Phenomenal Woman, Maya Angelou
- Daffodils, William Wordsworth
- Farewell, Anne Brontë
- Still I Rise, Maya Angelou
- Fire and Ice, Robert Frost
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
- Heather Burns
(26 April 1564 - 23 April 1616)
(10 December 1830 – 15 May 1886)
Mewlana Jalaluddin Rumi
(1207 - 1273)
(7 May 1861 – 7 August 1941)
(24 January 1572 - 31 March 1631)