I Shall Rise Again
My soul is sorrowfully vexed unto death.
My strength ebbed, with dwindled health.
Like a docked ship, I toss'd in my bed at night,
Eluded of sleep. A troubled mind so slight,
Weigh'd down below the bellows of anxiety
My eyes bloodshot, I struggl'd thru' my days in sobriety.
The poverty of my body, hindered the scheme
Of chasing my dream.
With an amputated Spirit, I ran with pace.
But slumped on the track, unable to finish the race.
My armor pierc'd by deadly arrows
I bleed thru' a thousand pores of my marrow,
But no soothsayer did me forewarn,
To 'beware of the ides of March' lest I be forlorn.
With a mortal wound that could not heal
I watch that which struck my Achilles' heel
Bathe its hands in my blood,
As the murderers of Caesar did his crimson flood.
Like a lamb led to the slaughter,
I fell helpless, hurting on ev'ry quarter.
A heart once braved now made weary
From doing battle on many dreary
Front. Rejected by my folks, I fought alone
My rank flank'd by my many adversaries
With no allies to send a troop,
No battalion to regroup;
I launched the onslaught.
Bequeathed by nature,
An inferiorly endowed creature,
The weakness of my body defects
Slowly my mind infects.
Suffering from a fault I committ'd not
An object of men's pitiful plot.
Disadvantaged from conception,
I was sired to lose, sired to stumble from inception.
With the odds stalk'd against me not abating,
The bitter taste of losing ev'rything;
Consum'd me. My weak heart traumatizes.
But out of this chaos, shall I build a paradise.
As my sore soul quits not,
Out of this ash, shall I arise a phoenix.
Dave BenOdafe's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (I Shall Rise Again by Dave BenOdafe )
- I Fly, Harold R Hunt Sr
- Fissures Of Imagination, RoseAnn V. Shawiak
- Girl-child., Bieze Josephat
- Main Street U.S.A., Harold R Hunt Sr
- Cabin in the woods., Harold R Hunt Sr
- The Swing, Harold R Hunt Sr
- The old water tower., Harold R Hunt Sr
- Comforted, Lawrence S. Pertillar
- Taken you back in time., Harold R Hunt Sr
- Joe, Harold R Hunt Sr
Poem of the Day
- Annabel Lee, Edgar Allan Poe
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- Touched by an Angel, Maya Angelou
- Still I Rise, Maya Angelou
- I Know Why The Caged Bird Sings, Maya Angelou
- Fire and Ice, Robert Frost
- Dreams, Langston Hughes
- Phenomenal Woman, Maya Angelou
- Nothing Gold Can Stay, Robert Frost
- A Dream Within A Dream, Edgar Allan Poe
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
Edgar Allan Poe
(19 January 1809 - 7 October 1849)
(1 February 1902 – 22 May 1967)
(10 December 1830 – 15 May 1886)
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
- Heather Burns
(31 May 1819 - 26 March 1892)
(16 August 1920 – 9 March 1994)
(27 October 1914 – 9 November 1953)