I'm Not Frightened (really)
I'll meet you by your garden gate
I'll come at eight, I won't be late
I will not knock upon your door
Your father answered it before.
He slowly looked me up and down
His face congealed into a frown
'I don't want any, go away'
'And don't come back another day'
'I'm here to see Marie, I said'
And proudly lifted up my head
I thought that if I stood my ground
He'd think me brave, and come around.
Instead he said 'What's on your head? '
'Is it alive or is it dead? '
'NO, that's my hair, sir, ' I replied
He laughed so much, he nearly cried.
I'd spent a mint on styling gel
And put some highlights in, as well
For him to castigate my hair
Was very rude, and most unfair.
Then he started on my clothes
'Where the hell did you buy those? '
I would have said 'a high street shop'
But he was laughing fit to drop.
I couldn't see it getting better
Standing there just getting wetter
Did I not say that it was raining?
Honestly, I'm not complaining.
I turned and left, respectfully
I heard him laugh, hysterically
So, I'll meet you by your gate
I'll come at eight, I won't be late.
_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Poet's Notes about The Poem
Comments about this poem (I'm Not Frightened (really) by Owain Glyn )
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
Edgar Allan Poe
(19 January 1809 - 7 October 1849)
(16 August 1920 – 9 March 1994)
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
(1 February 1902 – 22 May 1967)
(26 April 1564 - 23 April 1616)
(28 November 1757 – 12 August 1827)
- Henry Wadsworth Longfellow
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- Still I Rise, Maya Angelou
- The Saddest Poem, Pablo Neruda
- Leisure, William Henry Davies
- A Dream Within A Dream, Edgar Allan Poe
- Invictus, William Ernest Henley
- Daffodils, William Wordsworth
- Stopping by Woods on a Snowy Evening, Robert Frost
- A Life-Lesson, James Whitcomb Riley
- Fire and Ice, Robert Frost
Poem of the Day
- I Don't Want, Michael P. McParland
- Red Tulips, Holly Wotherspoon
- Holding On, Michael P. McParland
- Holding You Tight, Michael P. McParland
- Hold On, Michael P. McParland
- Just Wasn't Deep Enough, Kyle Schlicher
- Hold Me Now My Dear, Michael P. McParland
- Love Me, Soumita Sarkar Ray
- Hold Me Now, Michael P. McParland
- For Kira, Michael P. McParland