I'm Not Frightened (really)
I'll meet you by your garden gate
I'll come at eight, I won't be late
I will not knock upon your door
Your father answered it before.
He slowly looked me up and down
His face congealed into a frown
'I don't want any, go away'
'And don't come back another day'
'I'm here to see Marie, I said'
And proudly lifted up my head
I thought that if I stood my ground
He'd think me brave, and come around.
Instead he said 'What's on your head? '
'Is it alive or is it dead? '
'NO, that's my hair, sir, ' I replied
He laughed so much, he nearly cried.
I'd spent a mint on styling gel
And put some highlights in, as well
For him to castigate my hair
Was very rude, and most unfair.
Then he started on my clothes
'Where the hell did you buy those? '
I would have said 'a high street shop'
But he was laughing fit to drop.
I couldn't see it getting better
Standing there just getting wetter
Did I not say that it was raining?
Honestly, I'm not complaining.
I turned and left, respectfully
I heard him laugh, hysterically
So, I'll meet you by your gate
I'll come at eight, I won't be late.
_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _
Owain Glyn's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Poet's Notes about The Poem
Comments about this poem (I'm Not Frightened (really) by Owain Glyn )
- All are mine, gajanan mishra
- Our Air, Foster Teegarden
- I wear a sweater now, The Princess
- Morning Triku V, Steve Kittell
- To My Love, dr.k.g.balakrishnan kandangath
- Scrutinized As Being Abusive, Lawrence S. Pertillar
- Sting, Foster Teegarden
- Some Ghoul, Foster Teegarden
- the man of christmas, Faith Taylors
- My Description, Foster Teegarden
Poem of the Day
- 04 Tongues Made Of Glass, Shaun Shane
- Still I Rise, Maya Angelou
- If, Rudyard Kipling
- If You Forget Me, Pablo Neruda
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- Annabel Lee, Edgar Allan Poe
- Phenomenal Woman, Maya Angelou
- 1914 V: The Soldier, Rupert Brooke
- Fire and Ice, Robert Frost
- Invictus, William Ernest Henley
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
Edgar Allan Poe
(19 January 1809 - 7 October 1849)
(1 February 1902 – 22 May 1967)
(10 December 1830 – 15 May 1886)
William Butler Yeats
(13 June 1865 – 28 January 1939)
(16 August 1920 – 9 March 1994)