I Grant You Ample Leave
"I grant you ample leave
To use the hoary formula 'I am'
Naming the emptiness where thought is not;
But fill the void with definition, 'I'
Will be no more a datum than the words
You link false inference with, the 'Since' & 'so'
That, true or not, make up the atom-whirl.
Resolve your 'Ego', it is all one web
With vibrant ether clotted into worlds:
Your subject, self, or self-assertive 'I'
Turns nought but object, melts to molecules,
Is stripped from naked Being with the rest
Of those rag-garments named the Universe.
Or if, in strife to keep your 'Ego' strong
You make it weaver of the etherial light,
Space, motion, solids & the dream of Time --
Why, still 'tis Being looking from the dark,
The core, the centre of your consciousness,
That notes your bubble-world: sense, pleasure, pain,
What are they but a shifting otherness,
Phantasmal flux of moments? --"
George Eliot's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (I Grant You Ample Leave by George Eliot )
The Road Not Taken
If You Forget Me
Still I Rise
Edgar Allan Poe
A Dream Within A Dream
Edgar Allan Poe
Stopping by Woods on a Snowy Evening
I Know Why The Caged Bird Sings
- Multi love is natural., Rm.Shanmugam Chettiar.
- Second Language, Tony Adah
- Shed the hatred to shine., Rm.Shanmugam Chettiar.
- Do Some of Us Defile This Conservative P.., Monk E. Biz
- Nightlife, Michael McParland
- Somnolence, Tony Adah
- A Village Hero, umaprosad das
- I No Longer Care About Your Police Record!, Monk E. Biz
- Summer Song, Kawa Karpo
- Too Large To Thank God, Lawrence S. Pertillar