Lawrence S. Pertillar
I Decided To Affirm What I Wanted
With all things considered.
And less to reminisce,
That is remembered to forget...
The only focus I now have,
With a hope to keep...
Is on a deserved peace of mind.
To have come to be found,
When it came to me unexpectedly.
I decided to affirm what I wanted in my life.
And demanded in my life what I wanted made right.
I think I was then walking away from an ache.
A pain I was determined I was going to shake,
To seek more happiness for myself to find.
And I can not believe I use to perceive of this,
As a selfish activity I refused in my mind to accept.
I wanted more happiness and demanded that to get.
Some folks believe to grief for them is a blessing.
And when I confess this to God to be expressed...
About my being a trooper with burdens carried on a heavy chest.
God said to me,
'Blessings like that you did not from Me receive.
Who's been feeding your head with that kind of nonsense? '
Aren't You God?
Don't You expect me to endure Your tests?
'Yes I do.
But I did not create you to endure pain.
I don't want you worshipping any other gods 'before' ME!
If you are not happy I expect you to come to ME 'first'.'
That's what I've decided to do.
'And it took you this long to do it? '
Lawrence S. Pertillar's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (I Decided To Affirm What I Wanted by Lawrence S. Pertillar )
- A Man's Oft-hidden Tears, Maurice Harris
- Contentment, Katherine Nordhaus
- The News Explained it to Me, Vera Sidhwa
- Diwali, Hans Raj Sharma
- One Nation Under God, Katherine Nordhaus
- the weather knows where i'll someday put.., Mandolyn ...
- Love Is, sallam yassin
- MY HEART SMILES TO YOU, john chizoba vincent
- When The Wind Blows, Tony Adah
- If I am just A Character, Felicia Manning
Poem of the Day
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- Still I Rise, Maya Angelou
- Annabel Lee, Edgar Allan Poe
- A Drinking Song, William Butler Yeats
- Phenomenal Woman, Maya Angelou
- Fire and Ice, Robert Frost
- Dreams, Langston Hughes
- I Know Why The Caged Bird Sings, Maya Angelou
- As I Grew Older, Langston Hughes
- Do Not Go Gentle Into That Good Night, Dylan Thomas
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
(1 February 1902 – 22 May 1967)
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
Edgar Allan Poe
(19 January 1809 - 7 October 1849)
(10 December 1830 – 15 May 1886)
- Heather Burns
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
(16 August 1920 – 9 March 1994)
(27 October 1914 – 9 November 1953)
William Butler Yeats
(13 June 1865 – 28 January 1939)