I Dare To Dream
Life never gave her a chance,
Loneliness, a friend so close.
The spirit was caged,
Never to fly beyond captivity.
Never to explore greater air than that men had given.
All through the crowd she stood out,
Not for good.
Rejection a word known by heart,
And her thoughts bled,
Grief had numbed the mind,
Grief not for death or wound,
But that a chance was never given to her.
Her name was, odd
All she wanted was for mortals to know
Who lived behind the caged flesh,
Wishing, praying that her captors may let her be,
For a potential deep down to soar.
Through depression she lived,
Death was not an option,
For like the ending of the world,
She dreaded how mortals would toast at her grave.
And her soul if in paradise,
Will grieve to see men make merry the grave.
But then one day, when the sleeping sun awoke on the clouds,
When the rays of the smiling sun beamed at her, she knew.
She saw the answer before her,
No one would give another the path to success,
Man has to find his own way.
So she set her spirit free,
With determination she bind the heart,
And to the sand of the earth, she stood up.
With courage pounding the heart,
She spoke this words,
“I Dare To Dream”.
And though you mock me to fear,
And my spines rattle in discord,
Though you say my speech be dumb,
And my words be dull,
Yet, I dare to dream,
I dream of a better world,
Where in throne I sit.
I dare to dream of a time when I stand up for myself.
I dare to dream of cameras seeking to get a shot at me,
I dare to dream when you will chew those toxic
Words you spew at me.
I dare to dream when you will seek my smile.
I dare to dream when men will hear my story and say,
She is a woman who overcame.
And my name be carved out in history books.
For I have found my footing.
I dare to dream, not mere dreams,
But of a life I seek now.
Melody Kuku's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (I Dare To Dream by Melody Kuku )
- Lost Soul In The Hidden Wild, Electric Lady
- 雨Rain, qin xing
- Kamikaze Heart, Kewayne Wadley
- 难道你真是一片云（ Don't you is really a cloud? ）, qin xing
- Assuring Voice, Somanathan Iyer
- Synchronization, SALINI NAIR
- Best World, Kolade Seun
- For you, rest in peace, Cigeng Zhang
- Moon Beams, Yohan Confectioner
- Falling Through, Claudia Scott
Poem of the Day
- 04 Tongues Made Of Glass, Shaun Shane
- Daffodils, William Wordsworth
- Still I Rise, Maya Angelou
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- If You Forget Me, Pablo Neruda
- Phenomenal Woman, Maya Angelou
- No Man Is An Island, John Donne
- Do Not Go Gentle Into That Good Night, Dylan Thomas
- Fire and Ice, Robert Frost
- I Know Why The Caged Bird Sings, Maya Angelou
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
(24 January 1572 - 31 March 1631)
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
(16 August 1920 – 9 March 1994)
(10 December 1830 – 15 May 1886)
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
- Heather Burns