I Couldn't Breathe
'You brought me down'
were the words she sang that night.
Laying flat on her back
wishing on the stars in the sky
They weren't there
The clouds covered the light
and the city screamed honesty
of the smoke she used to die
Little by little
burning from the inside
you can't fool an honest man
with a small black and white lie
But don't you cry.
go, run and hide
build a castle in that tree
make a window out of leaves
sound proof, go on and scream.
ancient corners in her mind
standing up, lay down to die
what's the point of any life?
Where's the hope we swore on that night?
They walked away.
They ran so far
didn't need that plane.
they made it all up inside
living in the neighboring town
no foreign flight
no 5 speed shifter
she tore it down
(i'd lie so i wouldn't miss you)
wouldn't feel better trying to kiss you
forget that small town american dream
chase it far
tear up our seems
pour down your poison
itll burn off my skin
revealing the hatred within
underneath it all, traces of bone marrow
wishing it could be a garden of a simple pink flower
i want to dig up that grave
so i can spit in your face
i swear, i thought we could be saved
but you have a habit of throwing hope away
so tell me now what's your point?
i've disconnected all my joints
twisted into a shape He can't anoint
covered my face with a stupid stroke of a golden tan brush that i haven't washed in days.
...and i don't think I'll be washing it any time soon.
until the infection clears up
i will continue to rot
dreaming dreams of making it out
somehow, by a miracle, alive.
sun shone down just last summer
but mistakes were made throughout the winter
making springtime that much dimmer
revealing the blackest summer i've ever seen
don't you dare ever leave
i'd fall apart in your hands,
torn up with no more seams
Simone Graves's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (I Couldn't Breathe by Simone Graves )
- It Made My Day.....(sigh), Kaila George
- Unsure About....., Kaila George
- Love, Joy, Trust & Respect, Tom Zart
- Change, Kaila George
- tempt, Frederick J.B. Moore II
- Sasha said, Nassy Fesharaki
- With A Lifting Of My Leg, Is It Poetry
- Doom and Gloom, Nweke Emmanuel
- I have left my home, ramesh rai
- Turnips, Nassy Fesharaki
Poem of the Day
- 04 Tongues Made Of Glass, Shaun Shane
- Phenomenal Woman, Maya Angelou
- Do Not Go Gentle Into That Good Night, Dylan Thomas
- Annabel Lee, Edgar Allan Poe
- A Ballad of Death, Algernon Charles Swinburne
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- Dreams, Langston Hughes
- Invictus, William Ernest Henley
- Stopping by Woods on a Snowy Evening, Robert Frost
- Nothing Gold Can Stay, Robert Frost
(1 February 1902 – 22 May 1967)
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
- Heather Burns
(10 December 1830 – 15 May 1886)
(16 August 1920 – 9 March 1994)
Edgar Allan Poe
(19 January 1809 - 7 October 1849)
(27 October 1914 – 9 November 1953)