I Couldn't Breathe
'You brought me down'
were the words she sang that night.
Laying flat on her back
wishing on the stars in the sky
They weren't there
The clouds covered the light
and the city screamed honesty
of the smoke she used to die
Little by little
burning from the inside
you can't fool an honest man
with a small black and white lie
But don't you cry.
go, run and hide
build a castle in that tree
make a window out of leaves
sound proof, go on and scream.
ancient corners in her mind
standing up, lay down to die
what's the point of any life?
Where's the hope we swore on that night?
They walked away.
They ran so far
didn't need that plane.
they made it all up inside
living in the neighboring town
no foreign flight
no 5 speed shifter
she tore it down
(i'd lie so i wouldn't miss you)
wouldn't feel better trying to kiss you
forget that small town american dream
chase it far
tear up our seems
pour down your poison
itll burn off my skin
revealing the hatred within
underneath it all, traces of bone marrow
wishing it could be a garden of a simple pink flower
i want to dig up that grave
so i can spit in your face
i swear, i thought we could be saved
but you have a habit of throwing hope away
so tell me now what's your point?
i've disconnected all my joints
twisted into a shape He can't anoint
covered my face with a stupid stroke of a golden tan brush that i haven't washed in days.
...and i don't think I'll be washing it any time soon.
until the infection clears up
i will continue to rot
dreaming dreams of making it out
somehow, by a miracle, alive.
sun shone down just last summer
but mistakes were made throughout the winter
making springtime that much dimmer
revealing the blackest summer i've ever seen
don't you dare ever leave
i'd fall apart in your hands,
torn up with no more seams
Simone Graves's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (I Couldn't Breathe by Simone Graves )
- Unpopped Corn Kernals and Cold Hearts..., Monk E. Biz
- The Full Moon, Vigna Mukund
- Adrenaline is my Mistress, Hayley Lewis
- Love is a Liquid ~~~ vs.33, Monk E. Biz
- Incarnation, dr.k.g.balakrishnan kandangath
- Eternal creation, ramesh rai
- Lomp doch fijn besnaard 2, Madrason writer
- Treasured days..., David Lessard
- The body of my Temple lays unswept;, David McLansky
- Feral Mother, Robert Rorabeck
Poem of the Day
- 04 Tongues Made Of Glass, Shaun Shane
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- Sonnet 43: When most I wink, then do min.., William Shakespeare
- Still I Rise, Maya Angelou
- Phenomenal Woman, Maya Angelou
- I Know Why The Caged Bird Sings, Maya Angelou
- Invictus, William Ernest Henley
- Annabel Lee, Edgar Allan Poe
- Dreams, Langston Hughes
- Fire and Ice, Robert Frost
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
(1 February 1902 – 22 May 1967)
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
Edgar Allan Poe
(19 January 1809 - 7 October 1849)
(10 December 1830 – 15 May 1886)
(31 May 1819 - 26 March 1892)
(26 April 1564 - 23 April 1616)