I Am My Own
I am my own.
Nobody has the right to own me.
They can not tell me what to
So why do they try?
It is my body.
It is me.
I am not theirs.
They can't control it.
They may not like it.
They may still try.
But I am my own.
'Til the day that I die.
And if you think otherwise.
Then you should be shamed.
Because I am my own.
And that's how it'll stay.
Crystal Blanchette's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (I Am My Own by Crystal Blanchette )
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
(27 October 1914 – 9 November 1953)
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
(28 November 1757 – 12 August 1827)
(16 August 1920 – 9 March 1994)
(10 December 1830 – 15 May 1886)
(1 February 1902 – 22 May 1967)
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
Edgar Allan Poe
(19 January 1809 - 7 October 1849)
(31 May 1819 - 26 March 1892)
- Stopping by Woods on a Snowy Evening, Robert Frost
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- Do Not Go Gentle Into That Good Night, Dylan Thomas
- A Child's Christmas in Wales, Dylan Thomas
- Dreams, Langston Hughes
- If, Rudyard Kipling
- O Captain! My Captain!, Walt Whitman
- A Poison Tree, William Blake
- I Am the Only Being Whose Doom, Emily Jane Brontë
- No Man Is An Island, John Donne
Poem of the Day
- Coming Home, Slim Jay
- 'Words', Katherine York
- Love, Baki Yigit
- Hopeless Romantic, Shane Clawson
- Firebird Sunset, Salvatore Ala
- Flicker, Jessica Paige Davies
- I will always return, Jessica Paige Davies
- They are my horses, Jessica Paige Davies
- HOW THEY ALL FALL, Terry Collett
- Caucus at the Parking Meter, Donal Mahoney