How To Kill A Rat
A rat; an animal larger than a mouse
With large ears and pointed snout
A dangerous one
It lives in human habitation
Though survives in different adaptation
A rat, a faithful company
Lives with you and dines from you
Here and there
It never stays away from you
Sometimes you wonder
A creature, seemingly harmless and innocent
Could gnaw through wooden planks
Causing major damages
Yet leaving no trails on its tail
A nocturnal animal, of course
Darkness accommodates so many evils
As the day reveals the damages
So patient so cunning
Attributes of this great company
A rat indeed!
It is found everywhere
Even a clean home appeals to a rat
Cant it just leave it peaceful?
Oh! How I hate it!
Hurt, embittered, betrayed
Knowing for sure it's a rat's doing
Smash it? Hit it? Burn it?
How to kill a rat
I become curious
Lo! How to kill a rat
You bait it
Pretend you are not paying attention
Feed her with her favorite meal
For in what she does best
Lies her end
Abdulrasheed Dawodu's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (How To Kill A Rat by Abdulrasheed Dawodu )
The Road Not Taken
If You Forget Me
Still I Rise
Edgar Allan Poe
I Know Why The Caged Bird Sings
Stopping by Woods on a Snowy Evening
William Ernest Henley
- bonnie to your clyde, Mandolyn ...
- Purpose Of Life!, Geetha Jayakumar
- Corridors, RoseAnn V. Shawiak
- My Forever Crying Angel, Vlad Mutuleanu
- ThankYou!, Geetha Jayakumar
- let the wild rumpus start!, Mandolyn ...
- Day 28 of July 2014, Erica Borges
- Keep on the Sunny Side, Joseph Narusiewicz
- Switches …… [NOT just for electrician.., Bri Edwards
- there's heaven on the plains and freedom.., Mandolyn ...