How precious are thy thoughts of peace
How precious are thy thoughts of peace,
O God! to me; how great their sum!
New every morn, they never cease;
They were, they are, and yet shall come,
In number and in compass more
Than ocean's sand, or ocean's shore.
How from thy presence should I go
Or whither from thy spirit flee,
Since all above, around, below,
Exists in thine immensity?
I feel thine all-controlling will,
And thy right hand upholds me still.
Search me, O God! and know my heart;
Try me; my secret soul survey;
And warn thy servant to depart
From every false and evil way:
So shall thy truth my guidance be
To life and immortality.
James Montgomery's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (How precious are thy thoughts of peace by James Montgomery )
- Paper Wing, Liendang Hmar
- Like a Candle In The Wind, Liendang Hmar
- Story Line, A.R Evangelista
- Make a living but fail not to live, Bashyam Narayanan
- The Price I Pay, James George
- Not alone, Cheryl .J Barclay
- May our friendship last forever;, Cheryl .J Barclay
- SPICES OF LIFE, Philo Yan
- Flower & Sickle, Arno Le Roux
- There must be people around., Rm.Shanmugam Chettiar.
Poem of the Day
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- No Man Is An Island, John Donne
- Annabel Lee, Edgar Allan Poe
- Phenomenal Woman, Maya Angelou
- If You Forget Me, Pablo Neruda
- All the World's a Stage, William Shakespeare
- Let America be America Again, Langston Hughes
- A Dream Within A Dream, Edgar Allan Poe
- If, Rudyard Kipling
- Fear No More, William Shakespeare
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
(26 April 1564 - 23 April 1616)
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
(10 December 1830 – 15 May 1886)
(1 February 1902 – 22 May 1967)
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
(27 October 1914 – 9 November 1953)
Edgar Allan Poe
(19 January 1809 - 7 October 1849)
Lydia Howard Huntley Sigourney
(16 August 1920 – 9 March 1994)