Hour of temptation
'Relief...' it says to me, enticingly,
and I shut my eyes and feel for my blindfold.
'Relief...' it keeps whispering into my ears
and time seems to stand still,
all heavens and all of hell, their eyes fixed on me,
and all of creation seems to hold its breath...
'Relief...' my flesh trembles,
my blood rushes up my brain...
it's not an evil thing
to have something to smile about a little.
oh, but it had caught me way too many times,
and I know the price I'll have to pay.
...I do not move.
and slowly it backs away
and I open my eyes and see it giving itself to another,
and I turn away,
because a desire to snatch it
and take it for myself overwhelms me.
and the deprivation begins to sting through my flesh,
and my flesh, in revolt, fires up,
throwing arrows of flames against my soul
until cold rivulets of tears
form torrents of wild water on my face,
and all I can do is cry out,
Father! ! ! Father...
Topic of this poem: temptation
Mashe Others's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (Hour of temptation by Mashe Others )
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
(1 February 1902 – 22 May 1967)
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
(10 December 1830 – 15 May 1886)
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
Edgar Allan Poe
(19 January 1809 - 7 October 1849)
(31 May 1819 - 26 March 1892)
(16 August 1920 – 9 March 1994)
Rainer Maria Rilke
(4 December 1875 – 29 December 1926)
William Butler Yeats
(13 June 1865 – 28 January 1939)
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- Still I Rise, Maya Angelou
- If, Rudyard Kipling
- Dreams, Langston Hughes
- Annabel Lee, Edgar Allan Poe
- I Know Why The Caged Bird Sings, Maya Angelou
- Stopping by Woods on a Snowy Evening, Robert Frost
- As I Grew Older, Langston Hughes
- Daffodils, William Wordsworth
- Phenomenal Woman, Maya Angelou
Poem of the Day
- S.O.S., Sandra Feldman
- Something is in the House, Sarah Liz Bowman
- Tragedy and Comedy, Eugene Levich
- Bound to thaw, george albot
- Not Obligated To Offer Options, Lawrence S. Pertillar
- A taste of love, JJ Evendon
- Greeting Cards, Sara Fielder
- The Lorry From The North, Tony Adah
- Father's Admonition, Tony Adah
- Those who lose, Luv Artem