Hour of temptation
'Relief...' it says to me, enticingly,
and I shut my eyes and feel for my blindfold.
'Relief...' it keeps whispering into my ears
and time seems to stand still,
all heavens and all of hell, their eyes fixed on me,
and all of creation seems to hold its breath...
'Relief...' my flesh trembles,
my blood rushes up my brain...
it's not an evil thing
to have something to smile about a little.
oh, but it had caught me way too many times,
and I know the price I'll have to pay.
...I do not move.
and slowly it backs away
and I open my eyes and see it giving itself to another,
and I turn away,
because a desire to snatch it
and take it for myself overwhelms me.
and the deprivation begins to sting through my flesh,
and my flesh, in revolt, fires up,
throwing arrows of flames against my soul
until cold rivulets of tears
form torrents of wild water on my face,
and all I can do is cry out,
Father! ! ! Father...
Mashe Others's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (Hour of temptation by Mashe Others )
The Road Not Taken
If You Forget Me
Still I Rise
Edgar Allan Poe
I Know Why The Caged Bird Sings
Stopping by Woods on a Snowy Evening
William Ernest Henley
- On My Father's Yortsayt, Abraham Sutzkever
- The Bottom Line, Abraham Sutzkever
- Inside Me, Abraham Sutzkever
- नोँनि हाइनायाव, Bahadur Basumatary
- Paris 1988, Abraham Sutzkever
- Remembrances Of Others, Abraham Sutzkever
- Everything But God, Anne Pierson Wiese
- All Night Long, Anne Pierson Wiese
- Tell Me, Anne Pierson Wiese
- Our Mentor (Acrostic Poem), Marvin Brato Sr