Hour of temptation
'Relief...' it says to me, enticingly,
and I shut my eyes and feel for my blindfold.
'Relief...' it keeps whispering into my ears
and time seems to stand still,
all heavens and all of hell, their eyes fixed on me,
and all of creation seems to hold its breath...
'Relief...' my flesh trembles,
my blood rushes up my brain...
it's not an evil thing
to have something to smile about a little.
oh, but it had caught me way too many times,
and I know the price I'll have to pay.
...I do not move.
and slowly it backs away
and I open my eyes and see it giving itself to another,
and I turn away,
because a desire to snatch it
and take it for myself overwhelms me.
and the deprivation begins to sting through my flesh,
and my flesh, in revolt, fires up,
throwing arrows of flames against my soul
until cold rivulets of tears
form torrents of wild water on my face,
and all I can do is cry out,
Father! ! ! Father...
Mashe Others's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (Hour of temptation by Mashe Others )
- Dreamology, Sandra Feldman
- Till last time, hasmukh amathalal
- no blue/no green, delilah contrapunctal.... ye ..
- leave, Vanessa Parodia
- Two Books For Each Person, Is It Poetry
- Moment, Vanessa Parodia
- The Broken Heart, kashif khan
- The Posture Of Consciousness, Maharishi Deja Vu
- Cloudy eyes, Nassy Fesharaki
- Ill luck, hasmukh amathalal
Poem of the Day
- Do Not Go Gentle Into That Good Night, Dylan Thomas
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- Annabel Lee, Edgar Allan Poe
- Alone, Edgar Allan Poe
- Nothing Gold Can Stay, Robert Frost
- Dreams, Langston Hughes
- Invictus, William Ernest Henley
- Do Not Stand At My Grave And Weep, Mary Elizabeth Frye
- A Dream Within A Dream, Edgar Allan Poe
- If, Rudyard Kipling
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
Edgar Allan Poe
(19 January 1809 - 7 October 1849)
George Gordon Byron
(22 January 1788 – 19 April 1824)
(1 February 1902 – 22 May 1967)
(27 October 1914 – 9 November 1953)
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
(26 April 1564 - 23 April 1616)
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
(13 September 1916 – 23 November 1990)