Hour of temptation
'Relief...' it says to me, enticingly,
and I shut my eyes and feel for my blindfold.
'Relief...' it keeps whispering into my ears
and time seems to stand still,
all heavens and all of hell, their eyes fixed on me,
and all of creation seems to hold its breath...
'Relief...' my flesh trembles,
my blood rushes up my brain...
it's not an evil thing
to have something to smile about a little.
oh, but it had caught me way too many times,
and I know the price I'll have to pay.
...I do not move.
and slowly it backs away
and I open my eyes and see it giving itself to another,
and I turn away,
because a desire to snatch it
and take it for myself overwhelms me.
and the deprivation begins to sting through my flesh,
and my flesh, in revolt, fires up,
throwing arrows of flames against my soul
until cold rivulets of tears
form torrents of wild water on my face,
and all I can do is cry out,
Father! ! ! Father...
Topic of this poem: temptation
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (Hour of temptation by Mashe Others )
Ella Wheeler Wilcox
(5 November 1850 - 30 October 1919)
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
(16 August 1920 – 9 March 1994)
(April 13,1939 - August 30, 2013)
(28 November 1757 – 12 August 1827)
- Algernon Charles Swinburne
(27 October 1914 – 9 November 1953)
- Daffodils, William Wordsworth
- Stopping by Woods on a Snowy Evening, Robert Frost
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- Do Not Go Gentle Into That Good Night, Dylan Thomas
- Still I Rise, Maya Angelou
- I Know Why The Caged Bird Sings, Maya Angelou
- Fire and Ice, Robert Frost
- I Am the Only Being Whose Doom, Emily Jane Brontë
- Alone, Edgar Allan Poe
- Thanks for Remembering Us, Dana Gioia
Poem of the Day
- Angw, Swrji Basumatary
- Brutality, gajanan mishra
- Blessings and mercy, hasmukh amathalal
- Manw..?, Swrji Basumatary
- She Came to Me, Md. Ziaul Haque
- Life Begins Again, Md. Ziaul Haque
- A Good Soul, Md. Ziaul Haque
- Best Wishes My Love, Valentine Mbagu
- Relativity And Love, Sambanath Denis
- 2014, Joseph Archer