Four gallant horses
One was white, one was black,
one was red, one was brown.
One had four legs,
one had three,
one had two,
and the fourth had one leg.
The one-legged horse
said to the others :
the time for dance has come,
let's dance on a single hoof !
All of them liked the idea,
and the dance began.
The four-legged horse fainted outright,
the three-legged horse slipped and fell,
the two-legged horse limped to a fall :
only the one-legged one
danced on and on.
Ayyappa Paniker's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (Horse Play by Ayyappa Paniker )
- Assuring Voice, Somanathan Iyer
- Synchronization, SALINI NAIR
- Best World, Kolade Seun
- For you, rest in peace, Cigeng Zhang
- Moon Beams, Yohan Confectioner
- Falling Through, Claudia Scott
- City Of Angels, RoseAnn V. Shawiak
- Everything is Measured, Aftab Alam
- Butterfly of joy, Aftab Alam
- Chords Of Eternity, RoseAnn V. Shawiak
Poem of the Day
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
Edgar Allan Poe
(19 January 1809 - 7 October 1849)
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
(10 December 1830 – 15 May 1886)
(1915 - 2000)
- Heather Burns
(1 February 1902 – 22 May 1967)
(26 April 1564 - 23 April 1616)