Honesty is a bottomless ocean,
Unbridled it will stir emotion;
An oft ignored but curious notion,
Strong enough to crush devotion,
Yet gentle enough to care.
Constantly sought, but rarely found,
When ignored, we’re run aground.
With the power to enlighten and confound,
And by which we all are bound,
Come joy or come despair.
It rides like a sentry through the night,
Arriving at dawn, causing fright.
For it is truly hard to be forthright,
About deeds we’ve done out of sight,
Notwithstanding, our whole souls we will soon bear.
When honesty comes a quietly calling,
From our perches we go falling,
Falling and flailing, not prevailing,
Our minds backpedaling and derailing,
A soul on Earth will be not spared.
For we are all unclean liars,
Wounded children, and wretched criers,
Who insist on playing with fires;
But merely build our funeral pyres,
Log by log, without a care.
But this fire does purify,
Our misdeeds does it decry,
Setting us free, free to fly,
And allows the humble to peacefully die,
Sitting upright in their chairs.
Nate Carter's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (Honesty by Nate Carter )
- Sliding Into Imagination, RoseAnn V. Shawiak
- Nervous Self, You, Lucas Pate
- I Indulge, michael walkerjohn
- Basukinath Temple of Lord Shiva, umaprosad das
- Love Travelling Or The Travellers In Lov.., Bijay Kant Dubey
- I'll Never Leave You, Michael McParland
- A, Vera Sidhwa
- Save The Girl Child, Bijay Kant Dubey
- God and Most Young People, Is It Poetry
- women,, Nassy Fesharaki
Poem of the Day
- 04 Tongues Made Of Glass, Shaun Shane
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- Do Not Go Gentle Into That Good Night, Dylan Thomas
- GREATNESS OF MOTHER, P.YASWANTH REDDY
- Still I Rise, Maya Angelou
- Fire and Ice, Robert Frost
- Dreams, Langston Hughes
- Annabel Lee, Edgar Allan Poe
- I Know Why The Caged Bird Sings, Maya Angelou
- If, Rudyard Kipling
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
(31 May 1819 - 26 March 1892)
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
- Heather Burns
(1 February 1902 – 22 May 1967)
Edgar Allan Poe
(19 January 1809 - 7 October 1849)
(10 December 1830 – 15 May 1886)
(16 August 1920 – 9 March 1994)