Honesty is a bottomless ocean,
Unbridled it will stir emotion;
An oft ignored but curious notion,
Strong enough to crush devotion,
Yet gentle enough to care.
Constantly sought, but rarely found,
When ignored, we’re run aground.
With the power to enlighten and confound,
And by which we all are bound,
Come joy or come despair.
It rides like a sentry through the night,
Arriving at dawn, causing fright.
For it is truly hard to be forthright,
About deeds we’ve done out of sight,
Notwithstanding, our whole souls we will soon bear.
When honesty comes a quietly calling,
From our perches we go falling,
Falling and flailing, not prevailing,
Our minds backpedaling and derailing,
A soul on Earth will be not spared.
For we are all unclean liars,
Wounded children, and wretched criers,
Who insist on playing with fires;
But merely build our funeral pyres,
Log by log, without a care.
But this fire does purify,
Our misdeeds does it decry,
Setting us free, free to fly,
And allows the humble to peacefully die,
Sitting upright in their chairs.
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (Honesty by Nate Carter )
- Dreaming of Things While I Remain In My .., Rohit Sapra
- Facebooker, Md. Ziaul Haque
- Kidultnap, Md. Ziaul Haque
- Laugh, arshad arshad
- Puzzle of a Lovely Girl's Name!, Md. Ziaul Haque
- E- Humanity, Aamir Joyci
- In Memory of my Mother, George Pfumbi
- I Saw You Today, Md. Ziaul Haque
- Poetry Is Where You Find It IX, Frank Avon
- Touching the Dream, Md. Ziaul Haque
Poem of the Day
- If, Rudyard Kipling
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- Daffodils, William Wordsworth
- Phenomenal Woman, Maya Angelou
- Fire and Ice, Robert Frost
- Dreams, Langston Hughes
- A Dream Within A Dream, Edgar Allan Poe
- Still I Rise, Maya Angelou
- The Death of the Ball Turret Gunner, Randall Jarrell
- Annabel Lee, Edgar Allan Poe
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
Edgar Allan Poe
(19 January 1809 - 7 October 1849)
(10 December 1830 – 15 May 1886)
(1 February 1902 – 22 May 1967)
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
(26 April 1564 - 23 April 1616)
- Heather Burns
(7 May 1861 – 7 August 1941)
(January 6, 1883 – April 10, 1931)