Sheikh Ahmed Tijan Bah
Homesick - Part 1
I am so homesick, I am not homesick anymore
I am so homesick, I am now sick of home
I am so homesick, I am now of the feeling that home is sick
I am so homesick, I am not sick away from home
You see i left home a sick little boy, sick because of the knowledge
That for the first time i am leaving home to live sick,
Without mum, father, sister, or brother, but this was a journey
I thought i had prepared for, just to realize after a week
That the sickness of home is not cured by medicine but
By adaptation to the 'nayi' scene which is to be home whether sick
Or strong, happy or sad. I realized that i was wrong, so I decided to be happy.
Homesick means to miss home so bad that you feel sick.
Not just home but what's in home and around home,
So 'benachin' became 'briyani' and 'panket' became 'puri'.
Thank God for making Rice and Groundnut available universally
That's why 'Mbahal' and 'Chura Gerteh' remain nice and easy
So much that a brother can set up a plate even in 'Desi'.
No replacement for Family, especially Father and Mummy
But much love to my new sister and brother, Kumba and Kambi
Thanks to Jarju and MaiyaMuna for being Uncle and Aunty.
Shouts out to the rest of y'all i couldn't mention in this
But its because of sessions with the 'brada' on the stove and the chit
Chats after meals at the non veg mess, i can say that
I am so homesick, I am not home sick anymore...
Sheikh Ahmed Tijan Bah's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (Homesick - Part 1 by Sheikh Ahmed Tijan Bah )
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
(1 February 1902 – 22 May 1967)
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
(10 December 1830 – 15 May 1886)
Edgar Allan Poe
(19 January 1809 - 7 October 1849)
(31 May 1819 - 26 March 1892)
(16 August 1920 – 9 March 1994)
William Butler Yeats
(13 June 1865 – 28 January 1939)
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- Still I Rise, Maya Angelou
- Dreams, Langston Hughes
- Phenomenal Woman, Maya Angelou
- Annabel Lee, Edgar Allan Poe
- I Know Why The Caged Bird Sings, Maya Angelou
- Stopping by Woods on a Snowy Evening, Robert Frost
- If You Forget Me, Pablo Neruda
- Nothing Gold Can Stay, Robert Frost
- "Hope" is the thing with feathers, Emily Dickinson
Poem of the Day
- Passion and Risks, UMBELINA FROTA Linhares Pime ..
- Snip!, Lawrence Beck
- Today I learned that I am an orphan - Th.., Dee Jay
- To Glorify Jesus, Tom Zart
- I only scribed dirge but she killed thee.., Sir Toby Moses
- I only scribed a dirge but she killed th.., Sir Toby Moses
- Imitation., Tony Adah
- Stupid Wife, kassem oude
- Suicide Note., Tony Adah
- Everything Nothing, Ruby Honeytip