From a desecrated heart described, stained
the door locked shut, alas, family tree~
family name known, alas.... nothing else.
They buried between the pages of time
long lost, so too the ones that gave shelter,
save the cost of all the years, of my tears.
Who lies there, cold like graveyard, dust to dust,
names, dates, symbols, signs, identity lost?
O, may I not stumble in search of truth.
Would that I could but hold to bleeding heart
a name, a picture, inscribed on a tree,
a leaf among leaves, one that begat me.
Jackie Allen's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Poet's Notes about The Poem
Comments about this poem (Holding On by Jackie Allen )
- Haiku ' Marsh', miken newman
- Halloween Wind, Rhonda Baker
- My Mam Jackie., David Boyce
- For every sun thus there Star Bucks., Raymond Sawyer
- Warmth in the Winter, Joshua Chuhran
- I REMEMBER, Nazreen Nazarudeen
- Story of Man, Joshua Chuhran
- Daily admission, gajanan mishra
- The Idealist., RAJ VIKRAM
- waste your time reading this, Mandolyn ...
Poem of the Day
- Annabel Lee, Edgar Allan Poe
- Still I Rise, Maya Angelou
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- Dreams, Langston Hughes
- Phenomenal Woman, Maya Angelou
- Do Not Go Gentle Into That Good Night, Dylan Thomas
- If, Rudyard Kipling
- All the World's a Stage, William Shakespeare
- The Raven, Edgar Allan Poe
- If You Forget Me, Pablo Neruda
Edgar Allan Poe
(19 January 1809 - 7 October 1849)
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
- Heather Burns
(10 December 1830 – 15 May 1886)
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
(1 February 1902 – 22 May 1967)
(26 April 1564 - 23 April 1616)
(27 October 1914 – 9 November 1953)