What’s a hero?
Does anyone know?
Do they wear masks so their faces won’t show?
Do they watch the world with an all-seeing eye
Cape ruffling in the wind as they fly in the sky?
Do all heroes have special superpowers?
Fighting crime in a costume hour by hour?
Some Heroes save lives every once in a while,
But to me, a hero is someone who can just give a smile.
Heroes are people who can brighten one’s day
Even a hug or “How are you? ” helps pain go away.
A hero is selfless, a dying breed,
For once thinking of others' needs.
Heroes can be people who cure disease and treat burns,
Or just a person who helped a child learn.
A hero can be someone who gives their blood,
Or just a man brave enough to save a woman from thugs.
Heroes do what they do with an unknown repetition
Not for praise, glory or recognition
They don’t do what they do to receive a spotlight
But because they know in their hearts it is right.
Heroes are people who, everyday,
help someone else in some special way.
Kelly Curiel's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (Heroes by Kelly Curiel )
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
(1 February 1902 – 22 May 1967)
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
(10 December 1830 – 15 May 1886)
(27 October 1914 – 9 November 1953)
(26 April 1564 - 23 April 1616)
Edgar Allan Poe
(19 January 1809 - 7 October 1849)
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- Still I Rise, Maya Angelou
- Fire and Ice, Robert Frost
- If You Forget Me, Pablo Neruda
- A Homage To The Freedom Fighters Of India, Raja Basu
- Do Not Go Gentle Into That Good Night, Dylan Thomas
- Dreams, Langston Hughes
- Daffodils, William Wordsworth
- If, Rudyard Kipling
- A Red, Red Rose, Robert Burns
Poem of the Day
- ~Red Lights~, E Nigma
- I Am Happy To Walk Home Alone Slowly, Shalom Freedman
- Why Can't I Sleep, rty rty
- जेब्ला आं जिरायना थायो, Ronjoy Brahma
- Once Upon A Time, Matthias Pantaleon
- Public opinion on peace., Gangadharan nair Pulingat..
- BEWILDERED CONFUSED, Michael P. Johnson
- love as a natural disaster that can't be.., Hyeladai kwapaya
- बहा आंनि मिनिनाया, Ronjoy Brahma
- A few, very few, too few..., PARTHA SARATHI PAUL