What’s a hero?
Does anyone know?
Do they wear masks so their faces won’t show?
Do they watch the world with an all-seeing eye
Cape ruffling in the wind as they fly in the sky?
Do all heroes have special superpowers?
Fighting crime in a costume hour by hour?
Some Heroes save lives every once in a while,
But to me, a hero is someone who can just give a smile.
Heroes are people who can brighten one’s day
Even a hug or “How are you? ” helps pain go away.
A hero is selfless, a dying breed,
For once thinking of others' needs.
Heroes can be people who cure disease and treat burns,
Or just a person who helped a child learn.
A hero can be someone who gives their blood,
Or just a man brave enough to save a woman from thugs.
Heroes do what they do with an unknown repetition
Not for praise, glory or recognition
They don’t do what they do to receive a spotlight
But because they know in their hearts it is right.
Heroes are people who, everyday,
help someone else in some special way.
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (Heroes by Kelly Curiel )
- The Light The Night Sows, Walid Lounes Bouzerar
- Lasting Sorrow, RoseAnn V. Shawiak
- Heart condition, Ibrar Siddiqi
- A Poet's Echo, Nate Flying Owl
- did the clergy man create chaos when the.., Mandolyn ...
- Path Of No Resistance, RoseAnn V. Shawiak
- If Love... The This Follow...., Luis Estable
- Can This Be My Mistake, Luis Estable
- He was a carpenter. He worked with wood., Royston Allen
- An Open Mind, RoseAnn V. Shawiak
Poem of the Day
- 04 Tongues Made Of Glass, Shaun Shane
- Invictus, William Ernest Henley
- Annabel Lee, Edgar Allan Poe
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- Still I Rise, Maya Angelou
- Alone, Edgar Allan Poe
- Farewell, Anne Brontë
- Fire and Ice, Robert Frost
- Daffodils, William Wordsworth
- Footsteps of Angels, Henry Wadsworth Longfellow
Edgar Allan Poe
(19 January 1809 - 7 October 1849)
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
(1 February 1902 – 22 May 1967)
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
(10 December 1830 – 15 May 1886)
- Heather Burns
- Henry Wadsworth Longfellow
(28 November 1757 – 12 August 1827)