Her Words, My Promise.
Just like it was yesterday
Her words echo in my mind
Take my hand son, we have little time.
Her eyes asked the question she wouldn't dare ask
But somehow she managed
As the words slipped past
Her lips moved while
In a soft whisper her voice said
We need you to hope again
Humanity needs someone to believe in
Or it too, like my life, shall end
Struggle I did between her dying words
And the broken heart beating within my chest
Tears streamed down my cheeks
A quiet rage boiled beneath
I don't want their world!
I don't want their suffering!
To that she said...
All we have is love son
That's all we ever did
When I look at you
I see a boy, lost within a man
Do you have the strength
To make your way home again?
I care too much for them to understand
Then you son, must make them
Show them why we live
Her eyes closed
Her last words said
You, must learn to love again
Allan Gerard's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Poet's Notes about The Poem
Comments about this poem (Her Words, My Promise. by Allan Gerard )
The Road Not Taken
If You Forget Me
Still I Rise
Edgar Allan Poe
Stopping by Woods on a Snowy Evening
I Know Why The Caged Bird Sings
William Ernest Henley
Did you read them?
- Without Purpose Or Reason Affixed, Lawrence S. Pertillar
- The Baobab Tree, I Am Krakatoa
- Game of chance, Aftab Alam
- 'Tween Love and Hatred,, Aftab Alam
- Life alright, hasmukh amathalal
- A Child Is Like A Flowering Rose, Joseph T. Renaldi
- Only one...1, hasmukh amathalal
- Caring For A Lonely Heart, Joseph T. Renaldi
- Play Any Tune, Neela Nath
- It Was the Best Day, Sandra Feldman